We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PRDO Poor reviews- very worrying

UK
Level Contributor
784 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
PRDO Poor reviews- very worrying

Very sad to see a couple of poor reviews on the hotel in the last few days.

I can understand some of the comments about the rooms, we felt last year there was a need for refurbishment but it wasn't too bad. As we have told people it is Cuban 5 star, not what we expect of 5 star.

We are off there on 25th of this month so really hoping that we don't have same trouble as these guest have had. When we were there last jan there were a few wedding parties, a few were a bit rowdy but not as bad as these last reviews have said, also sad to hear the dress code had dropped a bit.

Fingers crossed we will have just as good a holiday, if not better than we did last year!

salsa savant
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PRDO Poor reviews- very worrying

Hi Neisar; Nothing to add to this, only that you post a trip report upon your return. I'm going to read those tr's now. Cheers and have a fantastic holiday!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Holguin, Guardalavaca
Level Contributor
14,381 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PRDO Poor reviews- very worrying

Hi Neisar, I just had a look through the reviews and was quite shocked at some of them.

It certainly looks as if the recent spate of bad weather had quite an impact on most resorts...... and peoples attitudes.

I'd just like to mention that most buildings on resorts were not built to cope with such extreme weather conditions and this has obviously affected a lot of the resort rooms. The unusual presence of lots of mosquitos and sand fleas are a result of the weather conditions also. These 'freaks' of nature are not a fault of the resort and are totally out of anybody's control and I think that us 'trippers' should make some kind of allowances in view of these unfortunate circumstances.

Rowdy groups and people disrespecting the dress code, Uhmmm, not the usual clientelle that one would expect at the Paradisus, sometimes you just can't excuse people's ignorance and blatant disregard for others!!!!!!!

New Brunswick
Level Contributor
289 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PRDO Poor reviews- very worrying

Neiser:

I too had to go back and read the recent reviews as I was very puzzled by your post. I agree with you that every thing is nice when it is new and PRDO is at the point where the rooms could use some freshening up. I would have to say that our stay there the end of October/first week of November was really a week in paradise. This resort has so much to offer.

I think like LoonyLou mentioned, the bad reviews could also have been fuelled by the heavy rains this area has been experiencing and that is not under the resort's control. When we were there we had a fair amount of rain and it was very hot and humid but I never had to put on mosquito spray. I believe I recieved my first bite at the very end of our vacation. I was also reading in these reviews about the large groups of rowdy Canadians and I think that the reviewers really struck out when they were there as far as fellow guests and of course the weather were concerned. I think that whenever you get a large group of people celebrating and drinking that this can happen regardless of nationalities and it is really unfortunate for other paying guests.

Fortunately most of the other recent reviews are excellent. Regardless, I hope you have wonderful trip!

UK
Level Contributor
784 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PRDO Poor reviews- very worrying

I totally agree with the above. We thought last year the bedrooms, although nice and spacious, could do with a refurb at some time soon, so the poor weather may not of helped them appear nicer!

i wonder if the iffy weather has had more of an impact than just a loss of a tan. I know when we were there last year we had a couple of off days weather wise and there was not a lot to do at the hotel really if the weather was bad except sit at the bar and drink yourselves senseless which is what sounds like what has been going on.

Perhaps instead of just doing that more people took the opportunity and got out to look at the surrounding countryside and villages and do some other activities. Then there is plenty to do!

southcoast UK
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: PRDO Poor reviews- very worrying

Hi,

We are off to PRDO late feb and have been concerned as when we booked the reviews were excellent and they appear to be dipping (and we are getting married there!)

However we wont let it dampen our excitement but wondered if anyone that has been has any recommendation of which of the junior suites are preferable i.e which blocks if we wanted the sunniest rooms etc?

I will happily post on our return.

thanku

UK
Level Contributor
784 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PRDO Poor reviews- very worrying

I can't remember the room numbers but would suggest you email ahead and ask for a room on the lagoon side as that had less trees and was much sunnier.

Congratulations, i am sure everything will be fine!

Scotland, UK
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: PRDO Poor reviews- very worrying

I would try not to worry too much about bad reviews...unless of course they are beginning to outweight the good reviews!! In my opinion, different people look for different things from a holiday, and what is bad to one person may be acceptable, or even good to another.

Your trip will be what you make it......go and have a great time!!!

southcoast UK
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: PRDO Poor reviews- very worrying

I quite agree everyone sees it differently and we are just looking forward to it, thank you for the advice I think I will email ahead.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
159 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: PRDO Poor reviews- very worrying

I think the review from "Not bad, not the best" from Toronto was the best one. How can you complain about lack of service in one breath and then moan that you can't put your feet up on the table the next - "classy"!!!!

We went to PRDO last August and the staff at this resort are the best. Sometimes we would have to wait a couple of minutes during the day as there weren't so many staff in the lobby bar but of an evening we would have drinks brought to us all evening by the staff. We all made great friends with the staff and hopefully will return this summer. I think with the rooms it is pot luck, my corner room was spacious and light, the children's room next door was a bit dark and stuffy. However, we did have almost two weeks of sunshine (only one rainy day) and only one wedding party which was slightly o.t.t and they were english. It is not nice to see a bride in her full wedding dress completely drunk and falling around the lobby bar. I know that dress standards were enforced in the a la carte restaurants because we saw someone turned away for wearing 3/4 lengths.

salsa savant
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: PRDO Poor reviews- very worrying

Sellyfally; Here is a map of the resort: …webshots.com/photo/1075584159035014968RuChyr

I think that we stayed in superior suite 43 that overlooked the lagoon (the lawn towards the lagoon). It is the suite that the big boss stays in when he visits the PRDO, we loved it. It is close to the restaurants (for your morning coffee!) but a bit of a walk to the beach or the spa, but nonetheless we liked this location.