We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smith Lake

St. Martin/ Georgia
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Smith Lake

Has anyone stayed in this area. My family will be in this area in December. Need suggestions for a special anniversary dinner. Special events around Christmas. Thanks

Birmingham, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smith Lake

Smith Lake is huge and is in two or possibly three different counties. You need to be more specific as to where you will be.

There are no lodges or hotels on the lake, but there are rental properties. I can't even think of any motels really close to the lake. Closest I can think of is at exit 310 on I-65. There are a couple of options there like Hampton Inn and Days Inn.

I don't know of any nice restaurants that would be anniversary quality near the lake. You would need to drive south to Birmingham or north to Decatur or Huntsville. There are a couple of decent restaurants on the Cullman side of the lake - The Angler and All Steak - but they are not fancy.

St. Martin/ Georgia
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Smith Lake

We have rented a house. Not sure about the exact area since this is our first time there. We will exit I 65 at the Dodge city exit.

Birmingham, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smith Lake

That helps. You are on the Cullman side of the lake. As I mentioned before, you are not close to any really nice restaurants for the special dinner. You can get good food close by at either place I mentioned, but again nothing fancy and special. From there, you are about an hour from Birmingham where you have numerous choices for a special dinner. If you are interested in coming that far, let me know any specific types of food and an approximate budget to know where to direct you.

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Smith Lake

What about the All Steak in Cullman, is that place stillopen?

Birmingham, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smith Lake

Look at my first reply VeeBee.

And War Eagle!

St. Martin/ Georgia
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Smith Lake

Thanks for the suggestion. They may try the steak house. They don't need anything that fancy, just something away from the kids and the rest of the family. There will be 22 family members in all.

Birmingham, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smith Lake

Here is a link to their information and reviews here on Tripadvisor:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g30466-d61…

8. Re: Smith Lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2010, 05:18