We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what is a must not miss

Conover, North...
Level Contributor
12 posts
158 reviews
Save Topic
what is a must not miss

What is not to miss when going through Alabama? Will only have limited time. Traveling to TX from NC.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
6,998 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what is a must not miss

Can't give you much help on any of your posts unless we know your route

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
238 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what is a must not miss

Based on my experience with Alabama, I would say drive as alert as possible and drive through as quietly as possible. Cops and Law Enforcement need money from everyone, including passers through. If I were you I would try to drive a route that goes through Tennessee.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
6,998 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what is a must not miss

We drive from Al to Tx or back every 6 weeks or so. Al is no more likely to give you a ticket than anywhere else.

If you are taking I-10 there are some places that you are likely to see more troopers--in La on the long bridge east of Lafayette and west of Baton Rouge the speed limit is 60mph and you should stick to it! In Al just after you cross the state line and before Mobile there are often unmarked troopers.

Along I-10 you may see a drug bust as we saw last week--7 police cars and troopers unloading a guys car!!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
238 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what is a must not miss

I'm not familliar with I-10, I'm just familliar with the Birmingham Area. I was just assuming his/her route would be through Birmingham, and I just couldn't think of anything, other than cops. They run commercials telling you they're looking for you, so voila! Someone has to pay for the commercials.

But I would have to suggest stopping in Tuscaloosa to see Bryant Denny Stadium and the statues of Alabama Coaches. Not sure if Nick Saban's statue is there yet, but you can look. Go to Buffalo Phils to eat on the strip (right near stadium) and enjoy being a part of Alabama Football for a couple of hours.

5. Re: what is a must not miss

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2011, 06:19