We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Al

Andover, NJ
Level Contributor
26 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Al

My husband & I are staying in New Orleans for a few days in early June and wanted to see some of Al. What is some things we can see or do in southern al that capture the Al spirit or deep south feel? Thanks so much!!!

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Birmingham, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Al

Drive across I-10 to Mobile. You can visit historic downtown; Bellingrath Gardens will be in full bloom; a short drive from there are the beautiful white sand beaches of Gulf Shores. I would plan for an overnight and stay at either the Marriott Grand Hotel or Renaissance Battle House Hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Mobile
Mobile
Alabama
Helena, Alabama
Level Contributor
259 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Al

dbh2 nailed it above. If you are interested in the romantic image of the Deep South, then visit the Oakleigh home musuems (http://www.historicmobile.org/Oakleigh08.htm) in Mobile, beautiful. Bellingrath Gardens (built 1920s) is a floral masterpiece, hands down. Be sure to also visit the Mardi Gras Museum in Mobile and enjoy fresh seafood - go to Wintzell's Oyster House in Mobile (they serve much more than just oysters, go to the location at 605 Dauphin St. downtown). North of downtown is Dreamland BBQ, a branch of the famous restaurant that started in Tuscaloosa but excellent BBQ in its own right. Have fun and enjoy your visit to Alabama!

Mentioned in this post
Mobile
Mobile
Alabama
Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Al

I second dbh2. Mobile is a great city. Stop on the way over and have lunch at Half Shell Oyster House in Gulfport, MS. Wintzell's is also great seafood. Spend a night or two at The Grand Hotel at Point Clear and visit the neat town of Fairhope, AL. Have fun in NOLA too. Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Mobile
Mobile
Alabama
Gulfport
Gulfport
Mississippi
Fairhope
Fairhope
Alabama
Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Al

Southern AL is a great place to visit. Mobile, Gulf Shores and Orange Beach are fun places. I also suggest you consider a visit to Natchez, MS. You could take # 61 N from Baton Rouge about an hour to Natchez which is a historic town on the Mississippi River with great restaurants and beautiful old antebellum homes. You could drive up to Vicksburg and visit the antebellum homes there then spend a night in Jackson, MS before you head back to NOLA. Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Mobile
Mobile
Alabama
Natchez
Natchez
Mississippi
Jackson
Jackson
Mississippi
5. Re: Day trip to Al

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 17:18