We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route From Tulsa, Ok to Dauphin Island, Al

Owasso, Oklahoma
1 post
Save Topic
Route From Tulsa, Ok to Dauphin Island, Al

We are heading to Dauphin Island on Saturday and we were wondering which route would be better- Through Arkansas into Mississippi or through Louisiana? We made a similiar trip 10 years ago and choose the Arkansas route, but there seemed to be lots of smaller highways vs interstates. Can anyone suggest which would be better? Also, is there any area to avoid due to construction? We would also love recomendations as to where to stay should we choose the Lousiiana route as we would like to drive about 8 or so hours the first day. Thanks!

Helena, Alabama
Level Contributor
259 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route From Tulsa, Ok to Dauphin Island, Al

I would suggest heading southeast from Tulsa towards New Boston, TX-Texarkana, TX/AR and then to Shreveport, LA. From Shreveport you will be on interstate all the way down to the Gulf coast (pick up I-10 east near Lafayette, LA). I agree Tulsa to Dauphin Island is a "you can't get there from here!" proposition but at least this route gets you to the interstate quicker across a less populated area (read: fewer small towns with stop lights and speed traps). Sorry I can't help with places to stay as I haven't been in that area myself expect for along I-40, try posting in the Lousiana forum, I'm sure they can help. Have a safe and fun trip; thank you for vacationing in Alabama, we're glad to have you here! :-)

Alabama
Level Contributor
1,901 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route From Tulsa, Ok to Dauphin Island, Al

The drive from Shreveport to I-10 is probably the most boring stretch of interstate I've ever been on in my life. We drove from Lawton, OK to Naples, FL once and I swear I thought we would never get there and that drive I mentioned was the worst part of the trip. We used to live near Tulsa in Claremore and absolutely loved the area. Hope to visit that area again in the near future.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Route From Tulsa, Ok to Dauphin Island, Al

Neither can I offer options of where to stay along I-10; however, if you check these websites, you can get up to date road construction project information for interstates as well as US Highways. that could help you plan.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/trafficinfo/

www.randmcnally.com

Miller

Gulf Shores, AL
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores, Orange Beach
Level Contributor
2,719 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route From Tulsa, Ok to Dauphin Island, Al

Along the lines of the TUL-Texarkana-Shreveport idea, I might go down the Indian Nations down through Paris, TX until you hit I-20, then east to Shreveport. Agree that the drive from Shreveport to Lafayette is no picnic, but it gets you there.

5. Re: Route From Tulsa, Ok to Dauphin Island, Al

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 07:18