We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay on way to Atlanta airport

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay on way to Atlanta airport

Hi

We are looking for recommendations for a nice town to stay in for our last night of vacation.

My wife and I will be travelling from Pensacola, heading to Atlanta airport - probably travelling along the I 65 and I 85 - and were hoping to find somewhere for an overnight, maybe round about the Alabama - Georgia state line - somewhere that may have a small selection of restaurants / bars ?

Many thanks for any help.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,750 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay on way to Atlanta airport

You should stop in the Auburn, AL area. It is home to Auburn University and has lots of hotels, restaurants and bars, etc. If you are going this summer then will have no problem getting a room. If you are going in the fall during football season then beware because rooms book up to a year in advance.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay on way to Atlanta airport

HI Peachbelle

Thanks for the reply.

I had forgotten to put in when we would be there - it would be the end of September.

Had a look at the hotels there and the main one seems to be the one at the university.

I've now also emailed for visitor guides for Alabama & Georgia as well.

Thanks again for your help.

Helena, Alabama
Level Contributor
259 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay on way to Atlanta airport

The Auburn Hotel and Conference Center is a good choice; it is right across the street from the campus and walking distance to the main restaurant/bar nightlife. Just a reminder that the AU campus is located a good bit off I-85. If you're just looking for a safe, convient place to spend the night any of the Auburn or Opelika, AL exits would suit you well. Please note though, Alabama is in the CENTRAL time zone, one hour behind the EASTERN time zone which includes the Atlanta airport; just keep that in mind in your planning. Best wishes and hope you enjoy your time in Alabama.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
27,750 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay on way to Atlanta airport

Yes that is correct- we've stayed at the Hampton Inn and Holiday inn express at one of the Auburn exits just off I 85.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay on way to Atlanta airport

Thanks again for the replies guys.

Hotel at Auburn Uni looks to be the best but also the most expensive, with no breakfast.

For price / locations, what would you think about any of the following three in Auburn -

Home-Towne Suites

Jameson Inn

Lexington Hotel University Convention Center

I'm still not too sure where the main town centre is ?????

I think we'd prefer to stay in the town, rather than another edge of the interstate hotel for a change.

Thanks again for any more help.

Edited: 30 May 2012, 20:20
Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay on way to Atlanta airport

The Lexington is on College St. about a mile off the interstate and may not be far enough away like you are looking for. The other two are both just off of Opelika Rd. which is one of the main roads in Auburn between there and Opelika. It is a good area to stay with lots of options for food and some shopping. To stay at a non-interstate location, the Jameson or Home Towne would be OK. I haven't stayed at either, but the location is good. If you decide to stay at a place by the interstate, the Fairfield Inn in Opelika is a good option.

Helena, Alabama
Level Contributor
259 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay on way to Atlanta airport

The center of Auburn is the corner of College Street and Magnolia Avenue where the University meets the town; here is a Google map centered on that spot: http://goo.gl/maps/IMTa

Honestly, the Hotel & Conference Center is the only hotel I would stay at in the downtown area. There is only one other, the University Inn I beleive, and I would not recommend staying there. May I suggest staying at one of the hotels closer to the interstate and then driving to the downtown area?Dbh2's recommendations above are spot on.

Oh, if you are there on a weekend perchance, the War Eagle Supper Club (http://www.wareaglesupperclub.com; 2061 S. College Street) between the campus and I-85 on College Street is well worth a visit.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
244 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay on way to Atlanta airport

Thanks again for the replies.

I've printed out this page and will have more of a look over this weekend.

As this will be our last night in America, where do you think would be better to spend the night, location-wise - Auburn or Opelika ?

Thanks again for your help.

Helena, Alabama
Level Contributor
259 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay on way to Atlanta airport

Auburn University is a beautiful typical American land-grant university with a large, wooded campus. Downtown Auburn has a great deal of character as well. Opelika is an old Southern city and the county seat of Lee County with its pleasant downtown focused on the junction of two major rail lines; note that Opelika has MUCH less nightlife than Auburn. Near the interstate the towns are indistinguishable. I'm a graduate of Auburn University and was a member of First Baptist Church of Opelika during my years there so I have fond memories of both; it is really up to you as far as which experience you would prefer. Opelika is closer to the Atlanta airport obviously and closer to the interestate than Auburn's downtown area. Given it is your last night and your orgional post, and presuming you aren't in a hurry to get to Atlanta, I would pick Auburn in this case.

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay on way to Atlanta airport

And if you stay in Auburn, the appropriate greeting to everyone you see is "War Eagle!". You will hear that a lot while in the area. Some good local places to eat while there are Niffer's Place, Momma Goldberg's or Creole & Seafood Shack. You will get a good feel for the area at any of these. You should also stop in Toomer's Drugs at the corner of College and Magnolia for the best fresh squeezed lemonade anywhere. My son is a student at the university, and we love visiting the campus. It is beautiful!!

Edited: 01 June 2012, 17:31