We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top attraction in Mobile.

Solon, Ohio
Level Contributor
12 posts
278 reviews
Save Topic
Top attraction in Mobile.

I will be visiting New Orleans next month and am planning to take a 1 day road trip to Mississippi and Alabama (part of my quest to visit all 50 states)......I was planning to go to Mobile and have looked into the "top" attractions listed in Trip Advisor but would really appreciate hearing directly from folks who know about Alabama/Mobile. I plan to leave New Orleans Monday morning around 8:30 and drive to Alabama, spend a couple hours seeing 1 or 2 attractions then head to Biloxi for a couple hours, then get back to New Orleans around 6pm or so. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions you have, thanks so much!

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
6,998 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top attraction in Mobile.

Do the USS Alabama and head to Biloxi

Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top attraction in Mobile.

Eat lunch on the causeway and then do uss Alabama. If the battleship doesn't interest you, look into 5 rivers. They have airboat rides and other excursions.

asi
Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
58 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top attraction in Mobile.

You're apparently coming in June which could be a hot time of the year so a tour

of the USS Alabama might be a little warm and that might not be your thing. If I

had somebody in town for 4 hours during June, I'd problem drive them over to the

Causeway and look at the USS Alabama, maybe drive them over to Fairhope via

Hwy 98 to the Grand Hotel.

Then, come back to Mobile and drive down Government Street or Springhill Avenue

looking at the oaks lining the streets. If time is a factor for lunch on the causeway

I'd probably take them to Wintzell's downtown or maybe Spot of Tea (for view of

Cathedral Square), although the Causeway is only about 5 minutes from downtown

Mobile.

Edited: 06 May 2013, 20:44
Solon, Ohio
Level Contributor
12 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Top attraction in Mobile.

Thanks! I've looked into 'Spot of Tea's' website...do they actually serve High Tea or is it just a restaurant?

Cmbizi - do you have any more information on '5 rivers'?

Edited: 15 May 2013, 02:58
Chunchula, Mobile...
Level Contributor
11 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Top attraction in Mobile.

I'm a native Mobilian and Mobile is a fanastic place to live and visit! Bellingrath Gardens is off 1-10 and is gorgeous. Dauphin Island is at the south end of Mobile County and is a beautiful beach. Downtown Mobile, right off I-10, is full of history. There is a local company that offers bike tours of downtown Mobile. I would suggest walking down Dauphin Street and eating at Spot of Tea (does not serve high tea, sorry, but the eggs cathedral dish is legendary), visiting Three Georges Southern Chocolates, and stopping by the peanut shop to feed the squirrls in Bienville Square. Alternately, you could kayak, schedule a fishing trip or take an airboat ride in our Delta, a huge estuary where five rivers converge on Mobile Bay.

6. Re: Top attraction in Mobile.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2014, 05:15