We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birmingham vs Montegomery

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
2 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Birmingham vs Montegomery

I am looking for a place to go as a quick weekend trip from Atlanta

We would be arriving on Saturday and leaving Sunday, since both cities are about the same distance away I am trying to decide on which one would be better.

We dont want to spend alot of money but would like to visit a new place.

We love Charleston for the old houses and great history so am looking to something similar but different.

Please help me choose which city.

Chunchula, Mobile...
Level Contributor
11 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Birmingham vs Montegomery

I have spent a good bit of time in both cities, and where you go really depends on what you are interested in.

I have stayed at great bed and breakfast inns in both cities: Cobb Lane Inn in Birmingham and Red Bluff Cottage in Montgomery. Both are fantastic - great food, beautiful accomodations, reasonable prices.

Birmingham has great shopping (Galleria and Summit), the Vulcan statue, which is the largest cast iron statue in America, Civil Rights Memorial, Birmingham Zoo, Red Mountain, Oak Mountain State Park, new baseball stadium.

Montgomery features a lot of Alabama history - birthplace of the Confederacy, state capital building, Alabama Town historic area, plus the Montgomery zoo, Biscuits baseball park, etc.

Chunchula, Mobile...
Level Contributor
11 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Birmingham vs Montegomery

However, if I were you, I would go a little farther (6 hour drive) and visit Mobile, which is my hometown! We have beautiful historic buildings and homes, moss-draped oak trees, Mardi Gras museum, charter fishing in the Bay and river Delta, beautiful beaches at Dauphin Island, gorgeous gardens and riverboat cruise at Bellingrath, great shopping, and lots more.

Birmingham and Montgomery are both nice, but Mobile is the best tourist destination by far, because we have lots of rich history, plus beaches and bays to enjoy!

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Birmingham vs Montegomery

For a short trip like that, you can't go wrong with either place. Maybe just flip a coin and do one this month and then the other the next month. As much as I love Mobile and that area, it would be a little far for that short of a trip. You need a few days to make it worth a 6 hour drive.

When you pick, check back with you choice if you want help with finding a place to stay and places to eat and visit. One addition to the Montgomery list above is the Alabama Shakespeare Festival - beautiful park and walking trails.

4. Re: Birmingham vs Montegomery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2014, 06:16