We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roadtrip From New Orleans to Nashville via Alabama

Newcastle
9 posts
Save Topic
Roadtrip From New Orleans to Nashville via Alabama

Hi All,

My partner and I will be driving from New Orleans to Nashville in early January. We plan on taking two days to reach Nashville (one night stop along the way). We were hoping people could provide us with some suggestions as to which route(s) to take and recommend a place to stay in Alabama along the way? To provide a bit more information as to what we are interested in; Scenic drive, historical sites, small rural towns etc. We would like to avoid the interstate as much as possible and are therefore not worried about the drive being slower. As for somewhere to stay along the way, we are more after a smaller rural type town with a few good pubs and places to eat.

I appreciate any suggestions anyone has.

Helena, Alabama
Level Contributor
259 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roadtrip From New Orleans to Nashville via Alabama

Glad you're planning to visit us! I would recommend driving from New Orleans to Mobile, AL and then driving north up US 43 through west Alabama. Demopolis, AL would be a good place to stop for the night; beautiful old homes and bed &breakfasts. From Demopolis you can swing east and pick up the Moundville Native American historic site and the Tannehill State Park historic iron furnaces or continue up US 43 past Dismals Canyon and the Shoals cities of Florence, Tuscumbia, and Muscle Shoals, home of Ivy Green, home of Helen Keller (http://www.helenkellerbirthplace.org/). Avoiding interstates will mean that you will be driving through sparsely populated areas. The scenery is evergreen and mixed deciduous forests mixed with agricultural fields. Cell service will be poor and fuel/food choices will be limited. Not trying to warn you away from your plan, I just want you to have realistic expectations! Best wishes.

Edited: 05 November 2013, 17:23
Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,093 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roadtrip From New Orleans to Nashville via Alabama

Leave NO on 90 east...Bay St Louis MS, Pass Christian, Biloxi and for sure Ocean Springs along the coast. Then on to Mobile

Get off 90 and see the downtowns of BSL and OS

Edited: 05 November 2013, 17:58
Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,093 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roadtrip From New Orleans to Nashville via Alabama

aotourism.com/images/…100_dishes.pdf

Newcastle
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Roadtrip From New Orleans to Nashville via Alabama

Thank you for the responses. If we were to largely make the journey via the interstate(s)/major highways can you recommended any must-see towns that are short detours off of the major roads? Aside from Demopolis, are there any other towns that re close o the major roads and would be recommended as a stop over?

Thanks in advance.

Level Contributor
43 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Roadtrip From New Orleans to Nashville via Alabama

Mobile, AL has historical homes, a quaint downtown and wonderful resturants. Fairhope, AL has all the same things, it just more of your typical small southern town. Mobile is much larger. Montgomery could be an interesting stop because it is so historical.

There are a lot of wineries in the Birmingham area if that is your thing. If you are looking for quirky- check out Ava Maria Grotto in Cullman, AL. These suggestions are all if you take I-65.

London, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Roadtrip From New Orleans to Nashville via Alabama

I did this roadtrip once...or very nearly and it was one of the most beautiful trip. I loved it!

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
1 post
116 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Roadtrip From New Orleans to Nashville via Alabama

If you are ever in Montgomery again, I can highly recommend The Lattice Inn. The owner and innkeeper, Jim, is truly one of the nicest people you will ever meet. My partner and I have stayed there twice. It's in the Garden District and centrally located.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
371 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Roadtrip From New Orleans to Nashville via Alabama

Dude, take the Natchez Trace Parkway! A splendidly scenic National Byway. Begin at the terminus in Natchez or jump up to Jackson and roll all the way into music city. No stoplights, slower speeds through rural America straddling the old Native-American Trace. There's a scenic stopoff every 20-30 miles. Beautiful!

http://www.nps.gov/natr/index.htm

9. Re: Roadtrip From New Orleans to Nashville via Alabama

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2015, 05:19