We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe area to stay

Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Safe area to stay

We will be traveling through Birmingham on our way from Atlanta toward Missouri. Looking for suggestions for a good, safe area for a family to stay that is not too far off interstates. Any hotel suggestions?

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe area to stay

Need more info to give best advice. Are you looking to stay in Birmingham after only driving a couple of hours? Or just going through Birmingham? From Birmingham, what will be your route to Missouri - through Memphis or Nashville?

With that said, if you want to stay in the Birmingham area, I would recommend Fultondale at exit 167 (Walkers Chapel Road) on I-65 just north of Birmingham. From there, you can easily continue on through either city. There are several options for motels and lots of good food options. It is a very safe location.

Helena, Alabama
Level Contributor
259 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe area to stay

Echoing dbh2's advice, Birmingham is only about 2 1/2 hours from downtown Atlanta, I would suggest pushing on further towards Missouri unless there is a specific reason you're stopping here. If heading west to Memphis, it IS slim pickings for hotels between Birmingham and Tupelo, MS so Fultondale or Gardendale would be your best bets. If going north through Nashville there are MANY good places to stop between B'ham and Huntsville/Decatur, I would keep going and get some more miles under your belt. Have a safe trip!

Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe area to stay

Thank you for the help. Birmingham is a stop after driving in from NC. Our boys wanted to stop and catch a Barons game and then drive back to MO on Saturday. We were not familiar at all with the area.

Helena, Alabama
Level Contributor
259 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe area to stay

Ohhhh! Have a blast then, Regions Field is a gem! :-)

Millbrook, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe area to stay

I still think Fultondale is your best option. You will be within 15-20 minutes of Regions Field. You are then right on I-65 if going through Nashville or close to I-22/Corridor X if going through Memphis. Have fun at the game!

Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe area to stay

Thanks so much for the help! We appreciate it and are planning to stay in Fultondale. Your information was very helpful!

7. Re: Safe area to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2015, 05:17