We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one night stopover

Windsor, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
one night stopover

Hi,

I am travelling from Mobile to Savannah early November and am looking for a 1 night stopover, midway. I am considering Montgomery or Auburn. Just looking for advice as to things to do in each place if only there for a short period. Just really a place to break up the journey.

I kind of like the sound of Auburn it sounds like a typical US college town which might be nice to experience.

Any suggestions welcome.

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one night stopover

Auburn is nice and has a beautiful campus. The Jule Collins Smith Museum of Fine Art is a great museum with an interesting collection. There are lots of bars and restaurants. If you are going through Columbus, Ga. There are two phenomenal museums there, The National Infantry Museum and the National Confederate Naval Museum. Both are world class. There is also the Chattahoochie/Columbus Riverwalk. I grew up in Montgomery and it was never a destination I would recommend anyone to stay longer than it takes to travel I-65 or 85. It has grown substantially over the years and has had a total revamp of the downtown area since. The first capital of the Confederate States is here. Sites related to the Civil Rights Movement have been preserved and are even under consideration for a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The property of the Alabama Shakespeare Festival is absolutely beautiful and worth seeing. There is not much else in Montgomery except chain stores, chain resturants and chain hotels with a few exceptions. The best nightlife is in the five points area of Old Cloverdale on Fairview Ave.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,298 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: one night stopover

That,s not the way one normally goes to Savannah. Taking I. 10 east to jacksonville and then going north is the usual route. Tallahassee is a college town and about midway

Windsor, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: one night stopover

Thanks for your replies. The drive via Auburn seems to be slightly shorter, would going via Jacksonville be a lot quicker? Which route would be more scenic, any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,298 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: one night stopover

No not a lot quicker. Neither very scenic

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: one night stopover

Take the Auburn route. As Robert C said, there are some wonderful historical stops along the way.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,298 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: one night stopover

So if you insist on Auburn :) then go to Pine Mountain on your way to Sav. ...cute town...MAJOR tourist attraction nearby Callaway Gardens...love their butterfly dome http://www.callawaygardens.com/node/1422

7. Re: one night stopover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2015, 05:16