We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choosing Alaska cruise excursions on Regent

Toronto
11 posts
Choosing Alaska cruise excursions on Regent

My husband and I just booked an Alaskan cruise on Regent Seven Seas Mariner. Leaving Vancouver mid July for one week. Ports are Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Sitka. We're having trouble choosing excursions. Some are included and some have additional costs. We are not interested in city tours or food fests. We want to see the "wow" of Alaska. What is the "must do" in each port? Where should we pay more for a helicopter or flightseeing excursion? When is sea kayaking or canoeing the best way? Although we are in good physical condition, we have bad backs, so we can canoe and kayak, just not in bumpy waters. Thanks for any and all thoughts.

6 replies to this topic
Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
32,817 posts
6,430 reviews
1. Re: Choosing Alaska cruise excursions on Regent

For kayak, I would take the Skagway-Haines ferry Its very pretty and goes on the Lynn Canal Once in Haines, there is the eagle preserve. The mountains there are beautiful. We have been seen bears this year and last.

You go kayaking on a lake and its very peaceful. It might be best given your backs.

http://skagwayexcursion.com/haines/kayak/

For flightseeing I would keep a good eye on the weather. If its clear out, great. It can get very cloudy and rainy and then flightseeing not so good. I would either recommend Juneau and do it there. There are various options such as landing on a glacier, just flightseeing, etc. There is also in Ketchikan to go see Misty Fjords.

In Skagway, many like the train ride. On one of our trips, we did the best of Skagway taking the bus ride up (i.e. can get off and get those good photos), train ride, salmon lunch at Liarsville, and then Red Onion brothel tour.

Since you like active things to do I would definitely look at things to do in Haines. Most cruise ships have extended time in Skagway so you will still have time once you return to walk the downtown and see the small museums and stores there.

Food tastes - not sure what those are - generally its salmon bakes, etc. are the food related things to do in Alaska.

Have a good cruise.

Westport...
4 posts
1 review
2. Re: Choosing Alaska cruise excursions on Regent

HI - My family (with 2 teenagers) is going on the Regent Seven Seas one week cruise in August. Which excursions did you love? Also, many excursions are completely booked - did you have that experience with any booked cruises opening up in availability while cruising? Thanks for any info!

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
286 reviews
3. Re: Choosing Alaska cruise excursions on Regent

We did not travel with Regent, but thoroughly enjoyed whale watching while in Juneau and a raft float trip while in Skagway (took the ferry to Haines first). We ALWAYS use alternate excursion providers as we like the smaller groups and the lower prices (Viator, Shore Excursions.com etc.)

www.virginia2laska.blogspot.com

I posted photos and notes from our trip last summer.

In Ketchikan we were going to pay the big bucks for a seaplane tour, but got foiled by bad weather.... ended up taking a city bus to the Saxman native American reservation and thoroughly enjoying our visit.... also visited a museum within walking distance of the ship.... saved money, but would have enjoyed the plane trip too.....

Westport...
4 posts
1 review
4. Re: Choosing Alaska cruise excursions on Regent

Thank you! When trips got canceled due to weather, was it easy to schedule on alternative excursions?

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
20,916 posts
113 reviews
5. Re: Choosing Alaska cruise excursions on Regent

"We ALWAYS use alternate excursion providers as we like the smaller groups and the lower prices (Viator, Shore Excursions.com etc.)"

These are NOT providers, just third party bookers.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,204 posts
264 reviews
6. Re: Choosing Alaska cruise excursions on Regent

LSWestport: If the OP does not see your question, you can try private messaging her. Not everyone is subscribed to their thread, so they would not be notified of a new post. Another thought is to try posting a new thread specific in the title to your question about Regent. You could also go on the Alaska Forum on Cruise Critic and ask your question. There are more cruise bloggers on that site. Trip Advisor caters more to independent land vacationers.

https:/…

I, too, like to book direct with the providers whenever possible. Should something goes awry, I like dealing direct with the provider, not some third party.JMHO

It is always a good idea to have alternate plans in every port. It is a good idea to have phone numbers in your phone for other excursion operators so you can quickly place calls to see what may be available. Also be aware of what other activities may be available in each port...museums, tours, hikes, etc. Your time in port will go very quickly. You don't want to waste precious time deciding what to do. Know what you would do if you your tour gets cancelled.

Reply to: Choosing Alaska cruise excursions on Regent
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted