We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salmon Fishing trip - guys vacation

Portland, Oregon
1 post
Save Topic
Salmon Fishing trip - guys vacation

I and three of my friends are planning a fishing trip this summer to Alaska to go Salmon fishing. We are mostly interested in King and Red runs. Some of them haven't really fished before, but are game and are looking forward to the experience. We are looking for something moderately priced and ideally would be something with a all-in-one setup with lodge and fishing equipment/guides/etc... We'd like to share a large cabin and have NO preference for where in Alaska to go. Timing wise we are open, but it sounds like June-August is generally the time.

So I know this is a bit ambiguous, but none of us has ever been to Alaska. All that we know so far is that Kenai is too busy for fishing, so it sounds like that's out.

jjo
Chicago
Level Contributor
477 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salmon Fishing trip - guys vacation

I'd suggest some research on the towns of Wrangell and Petersburg. Both are smaller towns in southeastern Alaska and the big cruise ships don't hit them. You can get there on Alaska Airlines flights from Seattle. There is plenty of fishing out of those two towns, and plenty of charter boats that will take you out and provide all the equipment. You could also do some Halibut fishing, as well. Both have a fair amount of modest lodging, but nothing luxurious.

Hope this gives you at least one idea.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,288 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salmon Fishing trip - guys vacation

You'll spend alot more with a package deal than going on your own. Kenai is a small town and the Kenai Pennisula is a very large area with many great fishing spots and towns. Any certain reason for king and red salmon preference? Have you ever tried halibut? silvers? Seward has a fantastic silver return during August/Sept.

with 6 each limit. I'll wait for your response for further ideas.

Wasilla, Alaska
Level Contributor
966 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salmon Fishing trip - guys vacation

Personally, I find that the Kings are very hard to catch, and I am going into the prime areas for them. (The average catch time for a king is 17 hours). I don't know about any guides, but if you can get guarantees, then you might be better off even though you'll have to pay the price. However, you don't need a guide if you want to get out and try your luck like the rest of us. There will be many people out fishing, so you won't have a hard time finding where the fish are running, and any bait shop is going to help you with tackle. I think you have to ask yourself if it is the pursuit or the catch itself. There is alot of information on the runs for the entire state on the Alaska Fish and Game website. Once on the site, go to Sport Fishing. There is alot of information, but you can see the escapement numbers and when the best time was for fishing in the various areas. (The Anchorage, Mat-Su Valley and Kenai Peninsula sport fishing information can be found under "Southcentral" on the F&G website).

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Salmon Fishing trip - guys vacation

Wow... that's a vague question. Asking where to fish for Kings & Sockeye in Alaska is like asking if you should fish for grouper and bass in Florida or California!

In addition to the above suggestions, you might consider an extended cruise on a charter boat. Lodging, food, fishing, guides, etc. will all be included. There's a wide variety available just here in SouthEast... everything from $1200 per day and sleeping on a lighthouse in the middle of Frederick Sound to living aboard a small cruise ship. Too many options to list....

Start poking around at www.TravelJuneau.com and www.AlaskaCharterBoat.com for information if you're interested in this approach.

-Case

5. Re: Salmon Fishing trip - guys vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 02:16