We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter footwear

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
412 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Winter footwear

Hi folks!

I'm headed to Fairbanks tomorrow night after my turkey dinner. I'm in the packing stages now and trying to figure out if I should bring any other shoes other than my snow boots. For example, should I bring my nicer winter boots for dinner and other indoor activities? Flip flops for the hot springs? It's a quick three day trip and we're staying at Chena Hot Springs.

P.S. It's going to be 92 degrees F in Los Angeles today so I'm going to be in for a rude awakening on Friday! Eeek!

3 replies to this topic
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
13,067 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter footwear

Dining...

- in Anchorage acceptable attire for fine dining can be clean jeans and a comfy plaid shirt; so I wouldn't worry about extra winter boots for other purposes

hotsprings footwear...

- you have to leave your outdoor footwear in the entry at the of the spa/spring/recreation area. I do not recall if they supply flip-flops (thought a quick call to them will let you know)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
44,889 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter footwear

And Fairbanks and local area is even more casual . . . just remember layers, inside and out. While it may be cold outside, some places are way overheated indoors, so you want to be able to strip down a layer or two. Also, like in Hawaii, it is considered respectful to leave your shoes near the door when you enter house, if you are going to anyone's home. :)

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
412 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter footwear

Thanks so much for your feedback! Looking forward to our trip!!!

Reply to: Winter footwear
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted