We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beginning to feel scared and anxious

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Beginning to feel scared and anxious

Everyone has been very helpful and I thank you.

But I am starting to feel this anxiety about this Alaska road trip alone with my son.

Has anyone that has completed this trip offer any words or advice to ease my nerves?

It's Anchorage, Denali, Fairbanks, Palmer, Seward and back to Anchorage in 8 days with rental car.

Alaska, USA
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Beginning to feel scared and anxious

These are all well traveled highways and in summer, you'll never be out of sight of other vehicles, and in Alaska the majority of Alaskans aren't so jaded that they won't stop and give you assistance should such an unfortunate event ever occur. My wife has driven this route alone several times to take kids to high school sporting events, even in the dead of winter and never had any problems. Also there are enough gas stations that as long as you aren't below 1/4 tank you would be fine. Don't fret and have a wonderful time.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beginning to feel scared and anxious

I made the trip up the ALCAN alone in late December with my 3 and 5 year olds. Yes there were times when I was hoping that next gas station was open (they close during the winter) but we made it just fine. It was a long, white knuckle drive but in the summer should be great. Enjoy the scenery even if teenager doesn't. Can you get him/her his own camera? Give him a notepad to go with it so he can log his pictures, where and when taken ect. Good luck.

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
115 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beginning to feel scared and anxious

Not to worry - my family lives thoughout Alaska so we've driven these roads over and over. I know it seems like a long way to you but for us its just a commute. My mom, in her late 60's, drives around Alaska alone on a regular basis as do I. Alaskans are always glad to help out someone in trouble just in case.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beginning to feel scared and anxious

My trip starts on the 6th of June. Will it still be snowing in Fairbanks?

So happens that I do have a camera for my 16 year old. He has nothing but surprises in store as I have told he we are going to Niagara Falls this year. :>

So he can read up on the Milepost for interesting places to stop.

I am just very apprehensive about going to an unknow place that is so spread out. I have maps but not great ones. Can you suggest where I can get street by street maps for Anchorage and Fairbanks?

Anchorage, AK
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Beginning to feel scared and anxious

The snow will be long since gone in Fairbanks, should be warm. worst case is some rain. Any gas station/mini mart in Anchorage will have a rack of maps and you should find what you need. Try Chevron, Holiday or Tesoro stations, they will have a rack of maps in the store.

Anchorage, AK
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Beginning to feel scared and anxious

You would be hard pressed to get lost outside Fairbanks or Anchorage, there just aren't very many roads, once you're on the highway there isn't really anywhere for you to go wrong. So have a street map of both and you shouldn't have any problems. The milepost is written so it is giving you almost a mile by mile account of what is along the highway. This is an excellent tool for planning how far you have to go as well what is around to stop and see. Other than the mileage you'll be covering, you have nothing to worry about.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Beginning to feel scared and anxious

We have taken our two sons to Niagara Falls twice, they thought it was great, but then that was it. Alaska will be much better for him!

I went to our BooksAMillion yesterday and they have Milepost. You can by it for him to read on the plane?!

Hope you have a great trip.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beginning to feel scared and anxious

Thank you easing the nerves.

I already purchased the Milepost so he will have something to read on our 14 hour plane ride. I also purchased some tours based on the time and distance Alaskaman was kind enough to work out for me.

We are 6 weeks away.