We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise cost info....

northwest Georgia
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise cost info....

You will know by my question that I have never ever taken a cruise

and hardly know where to begin. We are considering an

Alaskan cruise sometime in the future. My question is:

are the prices quoted for 1 person only? In other words, as we

will be traveling as a couple, do they quote couple prices or do

I simply double the rate listed??

Any suggestions for beginners will be greatly appreciated!

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise cost info....

Hi ldlb. If you look in the small print below the info, you'll find it says something like "per person, based on double occupancy". So yes, you'd have to double it. Further, if only one person was going, he/she would have to pay more than the amount shown (anywhere up to 200%, depends on the individual cruise). Cruiselines are not kind to single travellers....

Also check to see if the amount includes taxes and port charges. If it doesn't mention them, it probably doesn't. Find out before you book.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise cost info....

Hi Idlb,

If you go to the website cruisecritic. com, the home page has a section for "first time cruisers". Just click on th logo and it will bring you to numerous information on cruising for the first time.

You are wise to research beforehand. Oftentime, people book cruises and end up having a terrible time because they did not check all of the details involving a cruise (and it can become quite overwhelming). They end up blaming the cruiseliner for their unfortunate circumstances.

Make sure you investigate the cruiselines, the cabin types (inside, window, balcony, front or back of ship), the dining services (formal, informal, early or late seating), activities on board ship (do want want to be among adult cruisers or mind being swarmed with children), services on board ship (spas, complimentary room service, beverage options). I think one of the main items to research is the port stops and how long in each. Some people value the cruise and don't care about ports. Others look forward to the port stops and plan the entire cruise around these stops.

Additionally, Tripadvisor has a forum dedicated to cruises. Go to the Forum homepage, then "Beyond destination forums", click on cruises.

Best of luck.

Yukon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise cost info....

Note that if you can be flexible there are always great deals to be had by late April or so at discounters such as http://youralaskacruise.com/ This year is the best I've seen yet, not only on inside cabins as normal, but on seaviews and even balconies. That site also gives you good information about when to get the best weather, what to pack and so on.

Murray

northwest Georgia
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise cost info....

Thank you Manitoba Maple, Aquablue & Explorenorth!!!

All of this has been most helpful and I will check out each

suggestion. I am one who totally researches before any trip.

This is new territory, however, and I appreciate your information.

5. Re: Cruise cost info....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 12:21