We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No Rain, No bugs, No crowds?

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,033 posts
202 reviews
Save Topic
No Rain, No bugs, No crowds?

What is the best time to plan a trip to Alaska with a minimal chance of rain, no bug problem and few crowds, and also be able to take the shuttle to Wonder Lake in Denali? Am I asking too much?

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: No Rain, No bugs, No crowds?

Mid to late August is my favorite time there. Not too many bugs, crowds have eased up, gorgeous fall colors in abundance. Of course, at any time you can expect snow but normally that is the last of Aug./first of Sept. before any amounts that matter.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: No Rain, No bugs, No crowds?

Lots of rain mid-to late august. You are looking for something that doesn't exist. Just deal with it and go.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,949 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No Rain, No bugs, No crowds?

February?? No bugs, no crowds, but alas, no shuttle bus to Wonder! Just kidding. For some reason - and I have watched this occur year after year - we can have the soggiest Augusts and some how, that last week of August/first of September, it's like a switch is flipped, and suddenly, it's clear and beautiful. However, remember that the season in the Park is quickly approaching winter, and shuttle bus trips become weather dependant. So you could try for that first week of September and hope for the best. If not, I would plan for mid-late July - bugs aren't usually as bad as they are in June. Good luck! :)

4. Re: No Rain, No bugs, No crowds?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 13:18