We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whalewatching at ISP, Hoonah AK 2007

jq
Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
661 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Whalewatching at ISP, Hoonah AK 2007

Attached is a link to photos I finally got posted to website for Icy Strait Point-Hoonah AK whalewatching tours in late July 2007. We went out twice with Floyd Peterson of F.I.S.H.E.S. plus Keith of Teckk Outfitters on our back to back cruises on Volendam. Hope you enjoy and I will be posting Juneau and Seward soon, if I learn to use the website better!

http://community.webshots.com/user/jq4653

South Carolina
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Whalewatching at ISP, Hoonah AK 2007

Can you tell me a little more about your experience with Teckk and/or FISHES? We will be up there in August '08 and are looking for a good whalewatching tour that can accomodate our extended family group of 10 total. Would love to avoid the cruise ship crowded excursions. Thanks!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,545 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whalewatching at ISP, Hoonah AK 2007

The photos are great. I am going whale watching in that area in July from Gustavus with Cross Sound Express.

>>Can you tell me a little more about your experience with Teckk and/or FISHES? We will be up there in August '08 and are looking for a good whalewatching tour that can accomodate our extended family group of 10 total. Would love to avoid the cruise ship crowded excursions. Thanks!

You would need to go in two groups since I am pretty sure that each trip only accommodates up to a max of 6 people.

I had booked last summer with Teckk but was unfortunately unimpressed. My tour was canceled (partly out of their control but they made little or no effort - emphasis on the no - to try to rebook me with any other outfitter).

I would strongly recommend FISHES from all I have heard and personally I would never book with Teckk again - I would prefer to book with FISHES first, the ship-sponsored excursion second or not go.

John

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Whalewatching at ISP, Hoonah AK 2007

John- If you had a large group to handle (10 or 12-ish in size) and you had the Hoonah whale watch bookings to do over again, would you consider booking a boat out of Juneau or Gusdavis to come over for the day to handle your party? It's such a short run from Auke Bay... I know several operators who would probably be willing to burn the fuel to get over there and back if there were 2 or 3 full tours waiting for them.

Just brainstorming...

-Case

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,545 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whalewatching at ISP, Hoonah AK 2007

That is an interesting idea that I never thought of (well, I never had such a big group either). With a group that size, I would definitely compare costs, especially if going together as one group is important. I would guess there are more choices from Juneau though I know there is at least one out of Gustavus.

John

South Carolina
14 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Whalewatching at ISP, Hoonah AK 2007

I would definitely love to hear more about the option of hiring a boat out of Gustavus! I'm the one who started this whole mess and am definitely looking for a good option outside of the 150 or so passengers who will be whale watching through the cruise ship excursion. My husband & I did this when we cruised in '04 and had a great experience and saw lots of whales -- but it will be harder to move around with that many people with our 3 kids, my mom and her cousin, etc.

Unfortunately, we have already made plans out of Juneau. We have worked hard to find options outside of what the cruise ship line has to offer. Appreciate all the info and advice you have to offer!

Christy

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,545 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whalewatching at ISP, Hoonah AK 2007

You can hire a boat from Juneau to come to Hoonah just as easy as one to come from Gustavus. It doesn't matter that you will be in Juneau later on.

From Gustavus I would check with Cross Sound Express.

From Juneau I would check with Alaska Marine Adventure.

I am sure there are others in both cities (especially Juneau) but those come to mind off the top of my head.

John

7. Re: Whalewatching at ISP, Hoonah AK 2007

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 04:18