We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to drive my rig Alaska...........

Florida
Level Contributor
153 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to drive my rig Alaska...........

Hi: everybody:

Any RViers that made the trip to Alaska? I travel solo

with a small 5th W and I'd like to dream about a trip to the "Last Frontier".Because I travel alone I have a few concerns considering

the distance and the vastness of the state.I will like to go with plenty

time (I'm talking about months)is it possible.Should I be concerned

about the economic side of the equation?Is it very expensive?

I realize the most will be spent in gas,and then what else will I have to keep under consideration?Are RV parks in Alaska very expensive.

Food?These are some of the ? I have while I wonder if it will possible to make the trip.Your experiences in this matter will be much appreciated............caravallo.

Wasilla, Alaska
Level Contributor
994 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to drive my rig Alaska...........

I assume your beginning your journey from the lower 48? If so, the highest gas prices will be in Canada. The Milepost is a must for the drive. It is useful both in Canada and Alaska. The Milepost provides mile by mile information on what you will see, along with the usual advertising. I would also get AAA with the RV plus. It is expensive to get towed, so a worthwhile piece of insurance. Make sure you bring spare tires. There are few roads in Alaska, but you can get yourself into trouble if not prepared. There are any number of gravel roads here, and some of them have little or no services. While on the road, you can stop at any number of places to check road conditions both in Canada and Alaska. You'll probably end up with cracks or at least dings in your windshield. It's just the way it is here. You might want to check your insurance on that, or get the dings fixed as you go.

The great thing about Alaska is that there are many places where you can simply pull over and camp. There are many in the Kenai Peninsula and in Southcentral Alaska. Also, some of the major box stores allow RVs to camp in their parking lots. You will need to dump every now and then, so you'll have to find a campground or dump in town at one of the service stations. Here in Wasilla, it is free if you buy gas, otherwise it's only $3.

You will probably notice that food is more expensive here than the lower 48. That is due to the shipping cost. Stock up on food in the larger cities/towns; Anchorage, Wasilla, Homer, Fairbanks. There is not much between Anchorage and Fairbanks for food and you'll pay alot if you need something in between. Gas is about $2.85 here now, and it doesn't really move much. In the smaller towns it will be more. North of Fairbanks it will be expensive and difficult to find, so keep on the high side of your tank when traveling through Canada and in Alaska.

In my opinion, the best time to come is May through September. You'll be able to find services best at those times. If you like to fish, you will find this also to be the best time. That is, if you like to fish for salmon.

I would get down to Southeast Alaska as well. I can't answer much about that area, but if you keep posting, you'll get all your questions answered. Here is a start to your questions. Let us know if we can help further.

2. Re: Best time to drive my rig Alaska...........

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 02:15