We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

land tour recommendation following cruise in whittier

boca raton florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
land tour recommendation following cruise in whittier

we are a family of 5, would like 3-5 nt, land tour,or should we do it ourselves, been quoted, 5-8 thousand dollars for 3 nts, any suggestions!!! thanks

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
916 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: land tour recommendation following cruise in whittier

If you are willing to do a little work in planning, you could do exactly what you want for alot less than that. What are your interests and how old are your children? When will you be there? Do you want to do more sightseeing or more active adventure? There's Denali wildlife, Mckinley flight seeing, river rafting, glacier hiking,fishing, flight seeing bear excursions, hiking, great litlle towns to visit- all depends on interests and ages of kids. Let us know more and we may be able to help. I also found travel books to be a huge help in planning our upcoming 2 week vacation. Everything looks so fun, I know you will want to schedule as much time as you can. Have fun planning!

boca raton florida
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: land tour recommendation following cruise in whittier

thanks, 3 boys, 18,16,12,they want to white water raft, land on a glacier,dog sled, denali,should we rent a car or do the train, a hotel for us is about 9oo a nt,thanks

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: land tour recommendation following cruise in whittier

Really? 5-8 thousand dollars for 3 nts?

Any suggestions? Yes, I have one suggestion. Definitely do it independently.

tqluvtotrvl gave you some great ideas and I have a couple more questions. When are you arriving in Whittier? What are ages of your kids? If your kids are older (teenagers) they can get involved in planning this trip too. I suggest you get "Frommer's Alaska 2008." There is a section on the best of Alaska. You all should read it and decide what appeals to each member of your family. This guide book has also samples of itineraries. Check them out. For a family with kids of any age it would be more exciting to rent RV and go wherever you want to go or rent a car and make reservations in nice cabins with kitchen facilities so you can at least prepare your own breakfast and snack if you don't want to cook dinners. I really wouldn't consider taking 3 kids on an organized land tour with any groups. With such budget and if you plan your own trip you would have enough money to take your whole family for an expensive bear watching trip with Emerald Air from Homer. Read a description of Emerald Air in a new edition of the Frommer's guide.

5 days in Alaska is better than 3.

Think about these choices; Denali, Seward, Homer, Hatcher Pass, Matanuska Glacier, Talkeetna, Anchorage, Girdwood. Keep in mind you cannot include them all in your itinerary but read Frommer's, many great posts here on this forum and decide according to interests of each member of your family. Have fun planning and do not hesitate to post more questions here.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: land tour recommendation following cruise in whittier

If you're used to $900 a night hotels, I'm a bit worried you might be very disappointed with the accommodations you'd see in Denali. No 5-star hotels there, not even close. And a $200 hotel here is not nearly as good as a $200 hotel in the lower 48. I'm not trying to discourage you from going to Alaska, but would you be okay with "roughing it" a bit?

Are you limited to 5 days, or could you stay longer? Interested in seeing only Denali, or perhaps some of the rest of Alaska? Either way, I also recommend you plan your own landtour so you can do exactly what you want to do.

As for transportation, if you're interested only in Denali, you might prefer to take the train. Obviously if you want to do stops along the way, or see other places, you'd need a car.

Could you provide us a link for the landtour that was quoted $5 to $8 thousand for 3 nights? Or at least give us the itinerary. I'm really curious.

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: land tour recommendation following cruise in whittier

Denali - white water rafting with denalioutdoorcenter.com. there is a scenic trip as well as white water available. guide can oar raft or you can paddle.

Chickaloon - Matanuska glacier ice trekking or climbing with micaguides.com.

kayaking at Seward or Homer. bear viewing at Homer. flightseeing from Talkeetna.

6. Re: land tour recommendation following cruise in whittier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 00:18