We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place for glacier/wildlife kayaking?

Michigan
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best place for glacier/wildlife kayaking?

We are traveling to Alaska June 08 and are trying to find the best kayak trip for glaciers and wildlife. So far we think we will be taking a tour out of Seward that goes to Aialik Bay for the day. Does anyone have any input on what kind of wildlife we will see? Is it worth 400.00?

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place for glacier/wildlife kayaking?

saw in another post that you had 2 days open. you might want to consider going to Valdez for a kayak trip. anadyradventures.com has several day trips. Columbia Glacier-$229, Shoup Glacier-$189 and Glacier Island-$239. Glacier island listed a good chance at seeing whales. I have seen posts here mentioning what a beautiful drive it is down to Valdez from the Glenn Hwy. or you could take the ferry to Valdez from Whittier.

Mentioned in this post
Valdez
Valdez
Alaska
Columbia Glacier
Columbia Glacier
206 Reviews
Valdez, AK
Michigan
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place for glacier/wildlife kayaking?

We actually thought about going to Valdez but decided to stop at Whittier because of the long drive to Valdez. Have you been to Alaska before?

Mentioned in this post
Valdez
Valdez
Alaska
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place for glacier/wildlife kayaking?

went to alaska for almost 3 weeks this last summer. we had originally planned on going to Valdez for a kayak trip. ran into time issues tho because of how many other places and activities we were doing and had to cut that part out. I just mentioned valdez as an option because of the price difference being less in valdez than seward's aialik bay. we had thought about kayaking in seward with sunny cove (I think that was the name), but we wanted more time in Homer in case of weather cancellations. so, decided to do a kayak trip there instead. we had never been kayaking before, so kayaking anywhere was ok with us. homer was our last scheduled activity/hotel area. we left 3 1/2 open days after that in case we needed to go back to Talkeetna for denali flight seeing or our bear viewing in homer was delayed.

Mentioned in this post
Valdez
Valdez
Alaska
Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place for glacier/wildlife kayaking?

just searched a little on kayak trips. saw that some people really liked the Bear Glacier kayak trip from Seward. said it's less $$ than Aialik as well. you might want to check that out to see if it appeals.

Mentioned in this post
Bear Glacier
Bear Glacier
78 Reviews
Seward, AK
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Michigan
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place for glacier/wildlife kayaking?

I did look at Bear Glacier, I actually called the guy that does the trip. The price is about 50.00 less than Aialik Bay but he said there isn't a lot of wildlife. Maybe some bears on shore and a few sea lions. So did you like Homer? We're going to stay there 2-3 days. We're renting an RV and camping on the spit. Any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Bear Glacier
Bear Glacier
78 Reviews
Seward, AK
Homer
Homer
Alaska
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,134 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place for glacier/wildlife kayaking?

Robin

"We actually thought about going to Valdez but decided to stop at Whittier because of the long drive to Valdez."

Choosing Whittier over Valdez? Just wondered why...

Valdez is only one day's drive from Anchorage through some of the most gorgeous scenery in the state, past waterfalls and several glaciers..... kayaking and hiking opportunities can't compare to the limited choices in Whittier, which is basically an end of the road, industrial-type town.....

If you wanted to avoid the long drive back from Valdez you could put your RV on the ferry to get back to Whittier......

Mentioned in this post
Valdez
Valdez
Alaska
Michigan
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place for glacier/wildlife kayaking?

We thought we would just stop at Whittier on our way to Denali to go on a quick Prince William Sound cruise..I know Valdez looks beautiful, we were just concerned with the time it takes to get there. How long of a drive is it from Whittier? Is the ferry quicker?

Mentioned in this post
Denali
Denali
2,183 Reviews
Denali National Park and Preserve, AK
Prince William Sound
Prince William Sound
454 Reviews
Alaska
Valdez
Valdez
Alaska
Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place for glacier/wildlife kayaking?

found a post here that said it is an 8-9 hour drive from Anchorage to Valdez. the ferry between whittier and valdez was said to be 7 hours.

we did a glacier cruise with princewilliamsound.com. food they served was quite good. we got free passes to the alaska wildlife conservation center by booking with them. alaskawildlife.org.

we stayed in hotels, lodge and cabins on our trip. you can do a search "homer spit rv" that will bring up some info on people's opinions on homer spit campground vs. Mariner park. We did like Homer. we were there from Sept 5-7 last year. late in the season so many of the shops had closed already. it was not very crowded at that time tho. very good restaurants. really liked Fat Olive's for pizza. had a great breakfast. I think name of the place was Duncan House Diner. our kayak trip with True North was fun. it was our first kayak trip. the guide thought we looked really comfortable and took us out to an area that had really big (looked big to us anyway) waves. couldn't see the guy in the kayak in front of us whenever the waves hit. little scary but exhilirating at same time. no ice of course, saw couple eagles and an otter.

just in case you decide to check out valdez: valdezalaska.org for more info on area.

Mentioned in this post
Valdez
Valdez
Alaska
Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place for glacier/wildlife kayaking?

If you take the fast ferry from Whittier to Valdez, the trip takes less than 3 hours. We made the crossing with a rental car in June just because of time contraints with making the drive. As far as kayaking, Valdez is best for glaciers, Seward is best for wildlife. The drive from Valdez is one of the most scenic in the world, especially the part between Valdez and Worthington Glacier. I would have loved to have turned around and drove it in the opposite direction. The ONLY reason I didn't was because we had a 2 p.m. flight from Chitna to McCarthy since we were going to spend 2 nights in Wrangell-St Elias NP at the Kenicott Lodge.

If all else fails, flip a coin to make your decision. LOL! Good luck with your planning and I'll "peek" in on you once in a while.

Mentioned in this post
Valdez
Valdez
Alaska
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Worthington Glacier
Worthington Glacier
396 Reviews
Valdez, AK
Syracuse
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place for glacier/wildlife kayaking?

Hi,

I have not been to Aialik Bay so I cannot comment on what you may experience and see, however, my family and I were in AK this summer and went kayaking (some of us for the first time) in Homer. We went with St. Augustine's Kayak & Tours (http://homerkayaking.com). They had full day and 1/2 day rates and we did the half day. We had a blast. We saw porpoises, a seal (loves to hang out on the kayak deck!!), all kinds of birds (eagles, puffins, gulls, etc) and a little black bear that was on the shoreline. Our tour included going by the oyster beds and I even was able to taste one and buy a dozen fresh oysters right from my kayak! Homer is my favorite place and I would say no trip to Alaska is not complete without visiting the town. So many wonderful restaraunts (love Fat Olives!!!) and things to do.

Good luck and Happy New Year.

Mentioned in this post
Homer
Homer
Alaska
Alaska
Alaska
United States