We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free trip anywhere Alaska Airlines flies-Where should we go?

Seattle WA
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Free trip anywhere Alaska Airlines flies-Where should we go?

My wife and I were bumped from a recent Christmas flight on Alaska airlines. As compensation, we were given vouchers for a free flight anywhere Alaska flies. We live in Seattle and can take 7-10 days off this summer (can be flexible with dates during this summer. Since the tickets are free to anywhere, we want to think beyond Anchorage(which is generally a fairly cheap flight from Alaska that we may pay for another time). We want to fish and my wife wants to practice her photography on scenery and wildlife. We still want to save costs by backpacking some of the time (we have some previous experience backpacking). Our one concern with backpacking is bear encounters. Other than that, we are leaving it wide open to suggestions with those guidelines in mind. Thanks in advance for your opinions and suggestions!!!

Joel & Katy

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,087 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free trip anywhere Alaska Airlines flies-Where should we go?

Wow.....How cool!!....Free tickets sure make a vacation more fun.....

Alaskan Airlines goes just about anywhere....Florida, Mexico, Hawaii.....

But if you could go anywhere in Alaska, how about Kodiak Island.....

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,622 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Free trip anywhere Alaska Airlines flies-Where should we go?

I would love to go to HI or Mexico but if you want to come to Alaska, why not look into flying somewhwere in AK you normally would not see. Maybe Barrow, King Salmon, Cordova, Kodiak or Gustavus. These tickets could be very expensive at times and you could use the free part on these normally expensive trips.

My wish trip would be to take 10 days and fly to King Salmon (AK Air), then fly over to Brooks Camp (Charter ~180$ RT). You can camp there and it is one of the safest places to experience the bears. You can take a shuttle bus to The Valley of 10,000 smokes and spend a few days backpacking through that area, it is something that has to be seen to believe. There are many oppurtunities to experience AK in the area, the only thing you may miss is the glaciers and sea life, but nothing beats spending a night camping in a caldera.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Free trip anywhere Alaska Airlines flies-Where should we go?

I would fly to Saint Paul Island for wildlife and photography. For scenery Kodiak Island is more photogenic than any other not so easy to reach places

Kodiak Island...
Level Contributor
643 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Free trip anywhere Alaska Airlines flies-Where should we go?

jcrwy-

Sorry to hear you got bumped - but score on the tickets!

I live in Kodiak and would be happy to give you hints on our area if that's what you are interested it. Bears in Alaska are an issue, but aren't nearly as bad as most people make them out to be. There are some standard tips that minimize your risk to almost nill. Send me a message if you are interested in knowing more.

5. Re: Free trip anywhere Alaska Airlines flies-Where should we go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 21:16