We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hunting/fishing trip

Martinsburg, West...
Level Contributor
264 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
hunting/fishing trip

I'd like to book a suprise hunting/fishing, possibly just fishing trip for my father in law's 70th birthday. I have no idea where to start. Should I go with a guide or is this something I can book without a guide. My husband will be going with him. What time of year would be best? How many days should we allow? What's the best way to get the fish home or should they plan to eat it there? Thank you for any suggestions.

Kodiak Island...
Level Contributor
643 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: hunting/fishing trip

luv2-

If you can provide a little more information we can begin to help you out. What type of fish are they after? What time of year will they be visiting (this could determine the type of fish)? Are there certain areas of Alaska they might be most interested in? Would they prefer river or ocean fishing? Is your father-in-law healthy enough to hike a little in remote areas or does he need a full-service lodge with easy accessibility?

I'm on Kodiak Island and can outline a multitude of fishing opportunities here if that's what they are after. If they want to hunt then you should check out Alaska Dept of Fish and Game's regulations for out of state hunters. Deer hunting doesn't require a guide, neither do some other species, but Brown Bear, sheep and goat (I think) all do.

I look forward to hearing more about their needs!

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,087 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hunting/fishing trip

Luv2Travel

What would they be hunting for ?....That will determine where and when.....Definitely you should book a guide who is familiar with the area (you would have a better chance for a successful hunt)....

The best way to get fish home would be to have it filleted, vacuum packed and flash frozen......it can be shipped home in dry ice at that point, or it could be checked as freight onto your air carrier....costly, but a really nice souvenier that can be enjoyed for months afterward.....

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: hunting/fishing trip

Several varieties of game REQUIRE a guide to hunt here, and with the regulations getting as complicated as they are for fishing, I'd want to have a fishing guide anywhere if I wasn't an experienced resident.

I'll second the request for much more information as well. Start with a decision on roughly how much you're talking about spending on the trip... guided bear hunts can run $5000, $10,000 or more, while half-day salmon fishing charters can run between $100 and $200.

After budget is determined, the questions really begin...

How many days? City or remote? Fresh or salt water? South East, South West, South Central, Interior, or North Slope? Level of accommodation?

I can go on and on, but really, the choices are to plan things yourself with the excellent help and advice you'll find here at TripAdvisor, and/or find a travel agent or outfitter who specializes in this sort of thing (fortunately, there are a few professional trip planners here who can help... I guess you CAN have both!) ;-)

Happy Alaska Travels!

-Case

4. Re: hunting/fishing trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 02:17