We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I am so ready to go NOW!

Shepherd, Michigan
Level Contributor
232 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
I am so ready to go NOW!

Hello All,

It's great fun to see the new people logging in to the TA Alaska forum to plan their trips. I can hardly stand the wait myself. When I first began planning our trip it was 547 days away. Holy smokes. I thought the time would never pass - and well - actually it still hasn't!

I think I've read about every book on Alaska I could get my hands on, visited a jillion links on the web, looked at millions of pixels worth of other peoples pictures, and finally I can say that I've made the majority of our reservations.

This forum has become my escape while I'm waiting for the real deal - Alaska. When I first started here I had never even heard of Homer, or Wrangell-St. Elias, Wasilla, Chicken, Turnagain Arm, etc. I just knew that I wanted to visit Alaska. Now there are so many places burned into my brain that I already feel like I've been there before - sort of. I check the weather reports. I read the Anchorage Daily News. Heck! I don't even read the Detroit Freepress and I'm from Michigan.

I have come to feel like some of the regular posters here are long-time friends; even if I've only read their posts to others. You are such a friendly, helpful, enthusiastic bunch of people. And when my PITA brother-in-law tried to throw a wet towel on my excitement you propped me up and gave me some most excellent retorts.

I tell myself not to wish my life away waiting for June 27th, but oh boy - that's hard not to do. In the meantime, I'll continue checking in daily, getting more tips, and offering some when I can.

Thank you so much to all of you. This is a great place to hang out for the next 155 days!

Kelly

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I am so ready to go NOW!

Kelly, I sure can relate to what you're saying! That's exactly how I felt this time last year! Believe me, you won't be disappointed!

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: I am so ready to go NOW!

Kelly, what a lovely post! And those of us who don't live in Alaska all know exactly how you feel. A year and a half until my next trip, and I can hardly wait....

But the anticipation is fun too, isn't it? :-)

And you never know, by keeping reading these forums you might pick up an idea or two to add to your trip. I know I sure do. Posters here are constantly bringing up ideas which few tourists would know about.

BTW, do you ever watch any of the Alaska webcams? Once in a while I look at the Seward harbor and the view north from Anchorage, but my favorite is the view from Wonder Lake. Since that is available only during the warmer weather, my back-up is the one from K2 Aviation: http://www.flyk2.com/webcam.html

I love looking at Denali! :-)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,519 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I am so ready to go NOW!

Hi Kelly! That is always how I feel when I have been researching for an upcoming trip . . . most people think I take all the fun out of travel by researching, but I feel quite the opposite. I feel like I really know the place, then when we actually arrive, I can relax - no need to run around trying to figure out what I want to see and do. I know what's out there and then I can go with the flow more. Plus you have had time to find out many hidden gems that most travelers would never know about - good on you for doing the research!!

Be very glad you are NOT going right now - it's still pitch black out, and it's about -25 this morning. Not really friendly weather, but we are thinking about June as well - that hope that it will warm up and turn green again. Glad to hear you have those excitement bubbles - can you imagine how much you are going to be posting/reading posts about 2 days prior to your trip??? Have a great day! :)

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,098 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I am so ready to go NOW!

I know what you mean about the anticipation. I am already getting anxious for my trip to Alaska in May. I keep poking around here and cruise critic though and keep finding some new ideas myself - like taking a 6 passenger boat tour from Whittier rather than the larger boats. You never stop learning!

John

Kodiak Island...
Level Contributor
643 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: I am so ready to go NOW!

Kelly - If it helps I have to second coalminer's words - be glad you're not visiting right now. Even on Kodiak it's 24 degrees and the wind has been blowing! June will be beautiful though. Enjoy your trip!

Shepherd, Michigan
Level Contributor
232 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I am so ready to go NOW!

Coalminer and Need - You guys are in a heat wave! It was -6 here last night and a balmy 16 right now. I am told the sun is shining though (I work in a basement!). I've found the temperatures to be interesting because quite often (lately) it is warmer there than it is here. Our days are getting longer though. You can at least see your breath freeze... This morning the long hairs and whiskers on the face of my black horse were all frosted. He looked prematurely gray.

I'll have to check out the webcam Maple. I've seen some of the videos but haven't caught a webcam yet.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: I am so ready to go NOW!

Thanks to all that share their knowledge and excitement about Alaska, and for taking the time to help others to have their dream trip. What is it about the addictiveness of these forums. I feel like a sponge that will never saturate with enough info about the trips I take. (not one of my best analogies). I have to know enough to think I am doing the best trip possible, based on time and budget. There are definitely times when I envy those who can just "wing it". To all fellow sponges- HAPPY PLANNING!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,519 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I am so ready to go NOW!

Me again - I don't think my negative sign posted well - it's minus 25 . . . I guess I should have said 25 below - at the Park, it's 35 below. It was warmer earlier this week but now it's clear and cold again. Though February is usually when we get the 40 and 50 below. Yes, it is interesting to follow the weather because sometimes we are warmer than the lower 48. Life is funny up here - well, you'll see in a matter of months! :)

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I am so ready to go NOW!

Majority posters are nice, friendly and helpful. It used to be lots of fun and pleasure to share personal experiences until I got scolded a couple times and got three really nasty messages. Since then I seldom post on the Alaska forum. Btw, I never claim I know everything about Alaska.

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I am so ready to go NOW!

maple, thanks for posting that web cam. we flew with fly k2 and I never noticed that on their site. have to go look. does anybody have any more cam's web-sites to look at for those of us remembering our trip and those now planning?