We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best PWS tours..whittier or valdez

albuquerque, new...
Level Contributor
277 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best PWS tours..whittier or valdez

Will be visiting in July. We are planning to take the Northwestern Fjord cruise out of Seward.

Then planning on heading to Whittier for a glacier cruise of PWS. Is this redundant?

I'm starting to wonder if a second cruise is the best idea, or if we should use that day to explore another part of the kenai area.

Thoughts/Ideas!!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,099 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best PWS tours..whittier or valdez

The Kenai Fjords tour in Seward emphasizes marine wildlife. I have only taken the 6 hour cruise but I heard the NW Fjord cruise is a real treat.

From Whittier, the emphasis is glaciers. Much different even though you will spend a little time at one glacier on the tour out of Seward.

John

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best PWS tours..whittier or valdez

we did a glacier tour from Whittier last summer. saw many otters, sea lions, 14 bears roaming the shore line and seals. only one calving. on that same day some people we talked to did a cruise in seward and saw much calving and practically no wildlife. I understand that was not what usually happens. a second one would increase your chances of seeing calving and wildlife. we enjoyed the Whittier trip very much and decided to do one from Seward. unfortunately, it was raining and really windy the day we were going to go.

3. Re: Best PWS tours..whittier or valdez

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 12:18