We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best time

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
best time

Hi all,

can someone give me advice on the best time of yr to visit?

thanx in advance

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
190 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best time

Personally, I like July. There is more color on the mountains, flowers are brillant, some of the berries are in, can hit some good fishing and the sun is out to make hiking at midnight doable.

I have been on the panhandle in July as well as southcentral and the interior. All a good time to be here.

Kodiak Island...
Level Contributor
643 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: best time

As someone who's lived in both the Interior (Fairbanks) and now Kodiak Island I have to second the July recommend. You get the best of all worlds.

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best time

I think ANY time you can visit AK would be a good time!! We were there the last half of August, and weather was beautiful, with parts of the state already showing fall colors.

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best time

the fall colors in Denali are really gorgeous end august and beginning september. went on 2 shuttle bus trips with a rafting day in between and you could tell that the colors were brighter within that short a time. blueberries and several different red berries (salmon berries, etc) all over the place. pretty cool in mornings, but didn't get too hot for comfortable hiking in afternoons. you also have a chance to see the northern lights.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,929 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best time

Hello there! Really depends on what you are hoping to see and do . . . some really adventurous folks are discovering Alaska in the winter time - to see the Aurora, to go skiing or see the ice carvings and of course, the Iditarod is always popular.

My favorite time of year is June thru about mid-July and then late August/early September. This is during the main tourist season. I love June because it's finally green, flowers are blooming, baby animals abound, and endless sunshine and generally warm/sunny weather. I love late August/early September because of the fall colors here in the Interior- it's incredibly beautiful. I don't know if this helps - it's all subject to opinion. :)

6. Re: best time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 11:17