We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing for something other than Salmon.....

Michigan
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fishing for something other than Salmon.....

Hello, I am rather new here and am trying to plan a 10 day RV trip through Alaska. I have reserved my RV and have determined that my group would definitely like to explore Denali (via shuttle bus), Fairbanks, Valdez, Anchorage, The Kenai Penn. and everywhere inbetween. I initally asked this question as a "part 2" type question in another post and it was suggested that I may get more responses if I post it as a seperate post. So here it is.

We would like to do some stream/river/lake fishing for Trout, Doilly Varden, Artic Char and Grayling. we would rather just explore areas and fish on our own. We would prefer not to use a guide service if possible. I have done several searches of the forum and cant really find any useful info regarding anything other than Fishing the Kenai for salmon. Dont get me wrong, as I would love to fish for salmon on the Kenai, but something about "combat fishing" with 1 million other people elbow to elbow doesnt sound too appealing. Would it be possible for anyone to give me any info on fishing for Trout, Char, Grayling and Dolly Varden? Rivers, lakes to try? Internet sites to look at? Is it possible to "roadside fish" and do OK? I am just looking for something a bit more peaceful the Fishing the Kenai for salmon perhaps without spending the money to take a fly in type guided charter. Also.. I dont expect anyone to give up their "honey hole" but any suggestions for a New guy traveling to Alaska would be great.

I appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thank you.

Jeff

Wylie.Texas
Level Contributor
186 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing for something other than Salmon.....

Hey Jeff

I have done the fish on your own thing a few time and it is not a problem. A great web site for info. is forms.outdoordirectory.com there is some great people there that will help you to plan where and when to fish and what to use.Read some or the past post on that site and you will gain alot of info.I like to fish without guides but,i find it useful to use one or two while i am in Alaska to gain the knowledge they have.

good luck you will have a blast\\

David

2. Re: Fishing for something other than Salmon.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 21:16