We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Far Side of AK

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
121 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
The Far Side of AK

Planning another trip to AK in late June/early July 2008! We have already booked the Port Lions Lodge on Kodiak where we will engage in a fish-a-rama for a week. I'll definitely post after the trip since there is so little recent info on Kodiak in the forums.

After Kodiak, we will be heading to the Glennallen area near Wrangell-St. Elias. We will spend about 5 days or so exploring and fishing in some pretty remote areas from the looks of the maps and what I've seen in the Forum. Everyone seems to either cruise or head towards Denali on the George Parks Highway. We've been there/done that so we're headed in the opposite direction. We did do part of the Glennallen Highway just past Sheep Mountain Lodge where we got our infamous flat tire. So, no off-roading for us!

Does anyone have any experience with the Lake Louise Lodge or that area? We are debating on whether to split our time between Lake Louise and either a bit north or south of Glennallen proper along the Richardson Highway. This would put us either in the Gakona area to the north or the Copper Center area to the south. Anyone know what would be a better choice? Any suggestions on where to stay in these areas? We like to stay in cabins if possible (private bath a must!) and near a lake or river.

Thanks!

Alyeska Ski Area
Mountains, Ski & Snowboard Areas
Mt. Marathon
Monuments & Statues, Mountains
Kodiak Island...
Level Contributor
643 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: The Far Side of AK

Fishergal -

Can't help you with the Glenallen questions - it's been years since I was there. But I live in Kodiak and wanted to say a pre-visit welcome!

Will you be flying direct to Port Lions from Anchorage or are you coming through Kodiak?

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Far Side of AK

not familiar with lake louise lodge, but we did stay at thepointlodge.com. it is at the end of lake louise rd at mile 17.2. the lodge is right on the lake. very scenic views from lodge. they have cabins as well. not sure that the cabins had bathrooms tho. we stayed there on a sunday, so it was pretty crowded in lake louise area. lots of people out for the weekend fishing or boating. lake louise road is 32 miles west of glennallen. the lodge was nice enough and clean. it was a good price and included breakfast. they do serve dinner there as well. we left earlier than they were planning to serve breakfast, so they gave us a discount on the room price. they do request you give them some advance notice that you're interested in dinner there. there is a bar area with great view of lake, a dining room, den type room with books/tv/vhs player.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
121 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Far Side of AK

Thanks needinsun and flame70!

In answer to needinsun--we will be flying into Kodiak and staying in town for about a day which will be Saturday. Port Lions Lodge staff will be picking us up on Sunday and I think they drive us to a pick-up point where we board a boat to head for the lodge. My husband talked to them so I don't know all the details. (We do talk to each other occasionally!)

Flame70--I did check out the Point. It looks like they don't have private bathrooms for any of the rooms--is that your experience? I saw Jeff Corwin's Alaska TV mini-travel-series and he stayed at the Lake Louise Lodge so it sounded good to me. My husband was going to try to snag the room with the sauna (that's what it says on the web site!). How's the road to Lake Louise? How long does it take to get to Glenallen from there? Would it make a good launching point for exploring Wrangell-St. Elias or is it too far from that area?

Thanks so much for your help!

Kodiak Island...
Level Contributor
643 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: The Far Side of AK

Fishergal -

So nice that you'll get a day in Kodiak city! And that does make sense that they'd take you to Port Lions on a skiff. It's a bit of a ride but very nice that time of year. Keep your eyes out for whales as you head out of Kodiak on the boat.

Do you have any plans for your day in Kodiak or just relaxing? If you enjoy hiking there are some great trails around here. Let me know if you have any questions.

During this trip take note of the difference in scenery and vegetation between Kodiak and the Glennallen area. It really makes you realize how big and vast Alaska is!

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Far Side of AK

I was travelling with a friend last summer. we had one of the rooms with 2 single beds and a 1/2 bath. just sink and toilet. only there 1 night, so that didn't bother us. Lake Louise rd is fully paved to each of the lodges' entrances. the road was in very good shape. think it was just paved a couple of years ago. if you go down there, watch out for moose. we saw one in the am when we were leaving. Lake louise road is 32 miles from Glennallen. Lake louise road is 17.2 miles long. the point is at the end of lake louise road. it was raining the day we were driving to lake louise. due to that, we were going kind of slow and it took us about an hour or so to get to lodge from Glennallen. didn't want to miss turn off in the rain. I'm not really that familiar with that area to give great advice. We did stop at the Wrangell/St Elias visitor's center. 14 miles south of Glennallen near copper center. there is a film at the top of each hour that was pretty nice. We also stopped nearby at Copper Center Lodge to eat at the restaurant. you might want to consider overnighting there, since it would be closer to Wrangell. there is also the Copper River Princess Wilderness Lodge. it's just south of the visitor's center. Heard that the food at copper center lodge is better tho. wish you good luck deciding!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
121 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Far Side of AK

Thanks so much for your input.

It looks like the least expensive flight will put us in ANC in the middle of night, so by the time we get to Kodiak, we'll probably be pretty tired. I'm hoping our stay at Port Lions Lodge will give us at least a substantial taste of Kodiak.

Sounds like Lake Louise is pretty far from the other areas we'd like to see. We may just do a couple of nights there and move on either a little towards Paxson or to Copper Center. It sounds like a beautiful area and there was a recent post regarding travel along the Richardson Highway which makes me more certain that it will be worthwhile to spend time there. I am so looking forward to it! Any recommendations on places to stay around those areas (Paxson or Copper Center) would be great!

If anyone has any good fishing tips or experience with fishing guides on the Copper, Klutina, Gulkana, Delta or the myriad other rivers and lakes in the area, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks again!

7. Re: The Far Side of AK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 02:15