We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need traveling info, please someone help

alabama
Level Contributor
35 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
need traveling info, please someone help

My husband loves to fish, and would like to fish for king salmon. We traveled to alaska in 06 and loved it! We flew into Anchorage,rented a car and drove to Seward then drove back to Anchorage. We used this forum. I don't enjoy fishing, but could maybe enjoy it there. Where is the best place to visit for fishing and when? I have a magazine that says in June. Is that right? I have thought aboput renting an RV and stopping in campgrounds. Can someone give me some info please?

lynettemonroe@yahoo.com

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,377 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need traveling info, please someone help

opps - just posted on your other post. This has more specifics, which is good. I would recommend the Kenai Peninsula - many areas that you can fish, July and July are good months . . . just depends on fish runs though. Staying in campgrounds does make it easier I think . . . and there are plenty of state ones as well as private. I would do a search here on the forum about RV's - we have lots of posts about that - which companies to rent from, and all that other info that goes along with that. You could go to Seward, Cooper Landing, Kenai, Soldotna, and down to Homer - lots of places to stay. Would be a wonderful trip! :)

alabama
Level Contributor
35 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need traveling info, please someone help

I will check out renting an RV. My only problem is I don't know where to start. Our trip will last around 5-6 days at the most. If I could decide where to start and end, that would help. I guess I just need to start researching, huh?

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: need traveling info, please someone help

If you don't enjoy fishing, then I'd suggest you spend a few days of your time at Homer, where there is lots for you to do and see while hubby either fishes from shore or the Fishing Hole at the end of the spit, or goes on an all-day halibut fishing charter to try for a fish almost as tall as he is!

For you, there would be Pratt Museum, Islands and Ocean Visitor Center, tidepooling, beachcombing, strolling through the galleries, perhaps a wildlife cruise or take the Danny J to Halibut Cove, maybe hiking (guided or alone--more info http://www.akcoastalstudies.org/naturetours.htm).

Maybe a couple more days near Cooper Landing. Hubby can fish for King Salmon, you can hike, go horseback riding, goldpan, raft, kayak, just explore.

Plan a vacation that BOTH of you will enjoy. :-)

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,279 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need traveling info, please someone help

Just a couple of questions - is your husband planning to fish every day? Or just a couple of days? Does he want to fish from the bank or from a boat with a guide? This info will help to make suggestions.

alabama
Level Contributor
35 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need traveling info, please someone help

fish for a couple of days and fish from bank.

I have another question, does fairbanks have a airport? How are the roads there/ weather, fishing, Can I rent an RV there? Are there lots of wildlife to see there?

Thanks for helping me.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,377 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need traveling info, please someone help

Yes, Fairbanks has an airport, you can rent an RV, etc., however, the better fishing is on the Kenai. If you want to see wildlife (but no fishing) then head to Denali National Park. :)

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: need traveling info, please someone help

imho, I'd recommend Homer over Fairbanks. many more activities for you to do. Homer is a smaller and very cute town. speaking from a land locked state, Homer has that wonderful ocean practically at your front door. great places to eat. especially, Fat Olive's. Fairbanks does have a great museum and the large animal research station. And Gambardella's italian restaurant.

Wylie.Texas
Level Contributor
186 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: need traveling info, please someone help

Hi

RVing is a great way to go.We have done 3 trips to Alaska that way.The Clippership rv rental in ANC is what we used and never had a problem.You go were you won't and can stay where ever.In my book it is the only way.Fishing for Kings is all in timing you have to be at the right place at the right time.With that said i would look a the Kenia river or Russian there are a few others close to the same area.If you really won't a king i would get a guide.They are big and strong and hard to land in most rivers with fast water.The same rivers you are trying for king will also have red's,silvers.pinks at certain time's of the year that are easer to land from the bank.You can catch kings from the bank but most of the time it is not easy. IT ALL IN THE TIMEING do you research

Have Fun

David

alabama
Level Contributor
35 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: need traveling info, please someone help

David,

Thank-you for replying. So you traveled to Alaska rv style. Where did you visit and what was your most favorite experience?

We traveled there in 06. It was my favorite vacation ever!

Wylie.Texas
Level Contributor
186 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: need traveling info, please someone help

Hey

I really liked to travel with out a lot of reservations and in a rv you can.There are places all over to stop and camp or just sleep.I did make some reservation like the frist and last night in ANC .I book some fishing trips like halbut out of Seward and kings out of Saldotna.We my wife and 13 yr and myself did 10 day's in the rv late july 2007 it was our 3rd time and we did have insight that really help from previous trips.We stayed at courtyard by the airport our frist and last night,it is a nice place to stay .Most of out trip was around fishing and just sightseeing.We stayed in Seward 2 night at the start of the trip and 1 night in Kenai.Seward is my favorite spot on the ocean view like one can describe.There are lake everywhere to stop and fish or stay.We went back north to Talkeenta and did a jet boat trip that was fun 3 hr trip in a all enclosed boat.Then a few days of just seeing were the road goes.It is hard to put you finger on the best spot or time it all good.We did go back to Seward on our last 2 night to silver fish and relax.I know i might rambled some but traveling around Alaska is all good.

Good Luck

David

ps If you look at my post for millers landing in Seward there is a few pic's