We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska trip

Lake District...
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Alaska trip

Hi,

I can't believe it was last July when I first asked for advice about planning our trip, the time has gone very quickly and we actually fly out next week! - can't wait.

I was hoping that some of the kind people who responded to my last post with some great advice could possibly give me an update on the latest situation with the following:

Aurora activity - what are the chances?

Fur Rondy - any specific events that are a must see?

Winter driving - How are the road conditions between Anchorage and Fairbanks?

Dining - Any recommendations for places to eat in Anchorage, Girdwood, Seward and Fairbanks?

Any other recommendations for what to see and do would be much appreciated, I have picked up some great tips from reading other posts, but any further last minute advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Fergster

New York
Level Contributor
3,176 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaska trip

This is a poor Aurora year, very little activity. I have a friend living there, who has only had one good display this season. Check daily- http://www.gedds.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/

Are you there into March??? If so, definately get to the Ice Sculpting Championships in Fairbanks. www.icealaska.com

I like the Turtle Club in Fox (Fairbanks) Showcase in Seward.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaska trip

Are you staying for the start of the Iditarod? The Ceremonial Start in downtown Anchorage is great on Sat. March 1. Or the Restart in Willow on March 2.

Today road conditions are not too good- lots of accidents- we just got 9 new inches of snow. Who knows what it will be like next week. Drive defensively, carefully, & within the speed limit.

This is the last year in the 11 year cycle of solar flares which dictate the aurora, so not a good year. The best time is the bell curve in the middle. But keep looking....!

I like to eat in the bar at a window seat of Simon & Seaforts in Anchorage with the beautiful views of the inlet:

http://www.r-u-i.com/sim/

There's so much for Fur Rondy. The Running of the Reindeer is THE new event:

www.furrondy.net/2008/pdf/08rondy_sched.pdf

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alaska trip

Fairbanks - Gambardella's Pasta

Girdwood - Chair 5

jenette
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Alaska trip

Excellant Anchorage restaurants:

Gwennies and Peanut Farm - great breakfasts

Road Runner - unbelievable burgers

Sea Galley - great seafood

Glacier Brewhouse and Humpys - trendy

BBQ Pit - southern food

Girdwood - please do not miss out on Double Musky Inn (closed on Mondays) otherwise open by 5pm - no reservations but if you get there fairly early - you won't have to wait too long - Cajun food.

Seward - Salmon Bake - dinner

Thorn's Showcase - lunch and dinner

Smoke Shack - breakfast and lunch

Hey - I'm getting hungry just typing this!

5. Re: Alaska trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 00:20