We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

radio

Hudson Valley, NY
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
radio

Hi-

I'm traveling in Alaska in July. I know I'll be spending several hours at a time in the rental car. What are the radio stations like? Is the signal decent? Should I bring along my xm radio?

I haven't seen anything about this on the forums yet.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: radio

Hello and welcome to TA,

Radio in Alaska is very limited due to both the distribution of the communities across the very large state and the geography. I always bring my iPod and arrange to get a car with a mp3 jack (I don't have XM) for my drives around the state.

If you want to enjoy your music while travelling, I would bring something to help pass the time. You never know with flight delays, unexpected down time, and some pretty god drives having some tunes goes a long waay to fill the time.

Enjoy your trip,

- Kery

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
719 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: radio

you got me curious with this question so I did some checking. Seems there is no XM nor Sirius service in Alaska yet, although Sirius has applied to install repeater signals, it hasn't been done yet. That's too bad as we also would have loved to bring our Sirius for the car! Oh well, we will do as suggested and bring an Ipod and one of those transmitters than can play it through the car lighter. I wouldn't count on the rental car having an input for an Ipod.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
283 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: radio

Regarding iPod/mp3 adapters in the rental cars, just request a vehile that includes one when you pick up your rental.

I have rarely had trouble getting one when I make a request on the reservation and again when at the rental booth. Fortunately the national chains are stocked with relately newer cars and most of them come equiped from the factory that was. Also you can stop by Walmart or something and pickup a FM transmitter if you need to, but I don't really care for the sound quality very much. Do what you have to though.

- Kery

Hudson Valley, NY
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: radio

Thank you both for the info. I'll definitely bring an iPod.

This forum has such great information. I've been lurking for a few weeks and it's helped me plan (what I hope will be) a fantastic trip!

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
115 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: radio

Some misinformation around- there is both xm and sirius in alaska. It doesn't reach every nook and cranny of the state but we get both here in Southeast tho Sirius is the most common in Juneau.

Hudson Valley, NY
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: radio

Thanks AlaskaChick.

We'll be traveling to Anchorage, Talkeetna, Denali, Homer, and Seward.

Does anyone know about xm in those areas?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,540 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: radio

Well, I can usually listen to the radio in the car except thru certain mountain passes or canyons . . . you can get Fairbanks radio stations to almost Cantwell . . . a bit thru that area, and once you closer to Talkeetna, you can pick up all the Anchorage channels. Kenai Peninsula has their own channels, though occasionally, I have picked up some Anchorage channels - you just never know.

Alaska does have great public radio . . . with lots of local type programming - be sure to listen for a bit more of a taste of Alaska. :)

8. Re: radio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 21:18