We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

time difference

albuquerque, new...
Level Contributor
277 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
time difference

OK....this might win the prize for the craziest question.....Does Alaska observe daylight savings time? We just changed our clocks forward an hour. I was planning on a 2 hour time difference to get used to, now I'm worried it might be 3.

Thanks

L

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,477 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: time difference

Every state but Arizona now observes Daylight Saving (no S at the end) Time. That is my understanding. In any case, Alaska does observe it. Parts of Indiana didn't but that changed recently.

John

albuquerque, new...
Level Contributor
277 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: time difference

Thanks I knew about Arizona, but I thought I saw recently that Alaska, and Hawaii were also lucky enough not to have to change every clock in the house twice a year!!!

We are arriving late in the eve., and plan to head out early the next morning. 2 hours will be tough enough, glad to hear it's not 3.

L

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,577 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: time difference

Pardon my editorial comment, but can someone please tell me why we are saving daylight in the summer in Alaska. I am probably one of the few who just hates this time change-I will be up til midnight tonight, it was light til 8pm, ugh it bothers me way more than the dark.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,627 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: time difference

Interesting question, spacefry.

With the hours of sunlight available in your area in normal time, it would certainly be a world of difference than down here where our normal sunset would be about 7:30pm in summer, so there is value in adding on the hour for DST.

But for Alaska??????????

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: time difference

Here in Juneau, it's actually quite practical in the fall... When we're on "summer time" and the days begin to get very short, I take my daughter to school in the dark at 9 am. Setting things back a bit so it's light by 7 or 8 am sure helps get the day rolling smoother.

Honestly, I think (for most of Alaska) it's mostly a business issue. It's hard enough already for us to do business with the East Coast and a 4-hour change. I remember when living in Anchorage was several hours off of Juneau and parts of Alaska were 6 or 8 hours behind East Coast time... Now that everything is consolidated into "Alaska Time" I would think the State would want to stay as close as possible to matching the time-zones of the rest of the country.

-Case

6. Re: time difference

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 19:20