We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV Overnight parking

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
428 posts
1 review
Save Topic
RV Overnight parking

This FORUM has created a kind of addiction to me!!!!!!!! I must visit it everyday after I opened my mail. In deed I am not the only person that this happens.

My question now: I have read rather carefully your reports and those who travel by RV park mostly (or always?) in RV campgrounds.

We have rented a GREAT ALASKAN HOLIDAYS RV for 20 days from May 18th to June 7th. It has a GENERATOR that enables us to be independent most of the time. Of course we know that we are going to need fresh water and dumping some times.

When we travel we appreciate wilderness itself and do not like crowded places.

Are there limitations or rules about where can you park or can not? Of course we always accept common sense respect for sites and people or whatever you may bother and we won´t ever do it, but we wonder if sometimes we could park other place than a RV campground.

Thanks for giving us some of your time and experiences!

Florencia

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RV Overnight parking

I believe AK is the greatest state in the US for being able to park wherever you want to camp overnight. If there isn't a sign up saying no overnight parking, you can go for it. (I don't think we saw that sign over one or two places, and they weren't places we were needing to stay) Also, AK has LOTS and LOTS of places to dump and get water, such as the Fred Myers and many state parks. We stayed at a few commercial campgrounds, but sure didn't enjoy any of them as much as we enjoyed the "boondocking" spots.

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
428 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: RV Overnight parking

This almost seems chatting!

That´s what I wanted to hear, but nobody had been so clear like you, Cinky!

After our Alaska 2008 I promise to post our own experiences hoping they would be so useful for other like yours to us.

Florencia

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RV Overnight parking

Glad to be of help! We sure wouldn't have had the fabulous trip we had without the help of the veterans in this forum. Don't hesitate to send me a PM if I can help further.

Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: RV Overnight parking

Cjnky: Where did you go "boondocking" around? We are planning on spending 2 weeks in June in Alaska and only made reservations for Savage River in Denali. I am hoping we can find special places to spend our nights. We love nature and would like to do this to experince as much of Alaska as we can. We have rented a 30' RV and have 2 young children.

I already have researched dumping stations so that will not pose a problem for us.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RV Overnight parking

Here's the review I posted after our trip - hope this helps you out some! There were definitely LOTS more options for camping without hook-ups other than the few we used!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k14973…

6. Re: RV Overnight parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 05:30