We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning 1st Trip to Alaska - where to start

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
54 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Planning 1st Trip to Alaska - where to start

Just decided to finally make that trip we've always dreamed about and see Alaska. Don't have a clue where to start, what to see, where to stay, places to eat....would appreciated suggestions on EVERYTHING! Will be flying out of Houston, TX and will only have 2 weeks for trip. Probably won't make trip until 2009 but need to start planning now.

Thanks in advance for all your suggestsions/help!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,219 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning 1st Trip to Alaska - where to start

First place to start - read the past 3-5 pages of threads. It will take you an hour or two but it will give you a feel for Alaska.

With two weeks you have to concentrate - do you want SE Alaska or more Anchorage and the interior? Do you want a week on a cruise and a week before/after in the interior?

Unfortunately your question is almost as broad as Alaska is. If you spend some time reading previous posts, you can formulate some more specific questions that we can help you with.

John

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning 1st Trip to Alaska - where to start

John has given you good advice. With a year to plan, you can start with a basic plan, and keep reading all year to continuously revise/improve your original agenda.

Here's a link to a review I wrote on our trip that may give you a few ideas to work with.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k14973…

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,219 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning 1st Trip to Alaska - where to start

>>With a year to plan, you can start with a basic plan, and keep reading all year to continuously revise/improve your original agenda.

True but if you can get a basic plan with dates set 10-11 months in advance, you can reserve a car rental or RV in advance. I find that reserving a car 10-11 months in advance is significantly less than reserving it closer to pick up. If you are going to concentrate on SE Alaska, it might require car rentals in several places (Juneau, Skagway and/or Haines for example).

Generally I am toying with itineraries up to 18 months before my trip so that by 11-12 months before I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do. That saves enormously on costs, both transportation and lodging.

John

Michigan
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning 1st Trip to Alaska - where to start

Like cjinky - here's my review when we went on our honeymoon in Aug 06

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60880-i350-k14374…

I canNOT stress the enjoyment of the Bearfoot B&B...remember; B&Bs are normally cheaper than hotels - and more personal - if it's a good one ;)

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning 1st Trip to Alaska - where to start

Check out alaska.org as well as doing a search for itineraries on this site. It is a fantastic web-site with great information regarding: what to bring, scenic drives, available activities (and some of the companies that offer them), maps and more.

6. Re: Planning 1st Trip to Alaska - where to start

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 02:16