We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing for June 10 day vacation

Tennessee
Level Contributor
256 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Clothing for June 10 day vacation

We need help - we are getting excited about our June trip to Alaska and are thinking about what to bring. We will be in Alaska for about 2 weeks starting on June 13th. We start with one day in Anchorage then off to Talkeetna, Seward, Homer and finally ending up at Alyeska in Girdwood for our final night. We have already booked two days of halibut fishing, one day of fly fishing, a day of whale watching and plan on lots of hiking and general touristing. What are the must packs and just how many "layers" do we need in June? Bigggg coats or just heavy sweat shirt types? We don't want to overpack but don't want to end up buying a bunch of stuff either. Please helpppppp. (PS - 20th anniversary trip - hurray).

North Pole, Alaska
Level Contributor
127 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothing for June 10 day vacation

Hi vomaryjo. I can't say it enough: Layers, layers, layers!

My SIL came for a visit in mid June a few years ago, and we had to wear long underwear tops on a glacier cruise because it was so cold!

When I travel in the summer, I always pack silk long underwear (tops and bottoms, because you never know!). Silk is great because it's thin, but warm too. I usually wear a silk long underwear top, followed by a fleece or synthetic blend pullover, followed by a fleece jacket or windbreaker/waterproof jacket. If I get too warm, I peel out of layers. I'd also suggest a hat/cap, and some gloves (thin fleece gloves would be fine)

If you're going to be on the water fishing, I highly recommend a rainset (top/pants). Not only will it keep the wind off of you, but it will keep you dry.

Of course, pack some warm-weather clothes too. The weather can vary from location to location, and day to day. I rarely wear shorts, although it can be warm enough to wear them. But I've never been too warm in jeans or lightweight pants - even on the warmest day.

~Susan

Gloucester...
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothing for June 10 day vacation

yomaryjo,

Just read your comments regarding your upcoming trip. Would you mind sharing your halibut information (we will be Seward for 3 days mid-May)? I'm not sure if I should book my husband's trip ahead of time (my sons say he would like the full-day halibut vs. salmon fishing). I've been on a few websites for various charters - prices seem about the same, but not being a fisher-person myself I have no idea what I should be looking at when figuring out why one boat may be better than another.

Congrats on 20 years...Time flies!

MassMom3

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothing for June 10 day vacation

With all the time you are spending deep sea fishing & whale watching I too recommend a rain jacket & rain pants.

Yep lots of layers! Then you can peel them off & pile them on! I've had it snow on us in Denali in June & I've also hiked in June in Denali in shorts & halter top.

As another Alaskan, I usually have synthetic T-shirt, long john shirt, wool sweater, fleece jacket & gortex jacket for layers. Warm hiking socks. For backpacking & hiking, I have ultralight layers to replace the heavier wool & fleece layers. Polypro or wool hat, depending on how lightweight I want to go. Always lightweight gloves. A change of footwear in case one pair gets soaked.

In June out on cruises we have had visiting friends who had to borrow layers & others who were too big for our sizes had to stay inside the boat rather than go out on the deck. It can get cold out there on the deck & that's where all the fun is!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
256 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Clothing for June 10 day vacation

Thanks so much for your help. We will pack in layers, layers, layers. AKArmyWife - where do you get your silk long underwear. We live in Tennessee and I have never even heard of them - all I can think of is my husband's long underwear he wears out to work - he has a stucco business. Can I find them online. Thanks, Denalicat - we sure want to stay on deck so we will take your advice.

MassMom3 - wish you were going to Seward in June with us so your husband could join us. We are staying at the Alaska Saltwater Lodge in Seward - due to all the recommendations of this website and booked our all day halibut fishing trip (249 each)and small group whale watching, wildlife and glacier tour through them also (159 each) through them also. They good could writeups for these trips also so we just booked lodging and trips all together.

Thanks again to everyone for the help. Can't wait to see Alaska - we have always wanted to and are so excited already.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
256 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Clothing for June 10 day vacation

Wow - my typing was not very good in my earlier post but - I'm sure you got the drift. AKArmy wife: I just searched for silk underwear and found tons of sites. One question: should I get medium weight or heavy weight? Thanks, again for your help.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Clothing for June 10 day vacation

Congrats on your 20th!! I never made it that far...

I know your question was *what* to take, as far as how much, consider packing for half the length of the trip and doing laundry halfway through. I know laundry isn't something that should be done on vacation, but it really reduces the amount of luggage. We also pack old socks and underwear, after the first half of the trip they get laundered, worn a second time, and thrown away. That frees up space for cool Alaskan souveneirs! We're going to AK for the first time this July and counting the days!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
256 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Clothing for June 10 day vacation

Good Idea, Kenish. I really hadn't thought about doing laundry but, with all the fishing we are planning - that is really a great idea. Also, we will have a rental car so it shouldn't be a problem. The added bonus is that the plane back won't have to lower the oxygen masks for the other passengers due to the fishy smell eminating from the baggage area. Enjoy your trip also. Thanks, MJ

Kodiak Island...
Level Contributor
643 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Clothing for June 10 day vacation

The light silk underwear should be enough. It all depends on your other layers and how cold you get. Even out on the boat, if you wore a set of light silk long underwear, a base layer of a t-shirt and fleece pants, a polar fleece top and a set of rain gear you should be plenty warm.

Avoid cotton at all costs - it's the quickest way to get soaked and freeze in Alaska.

Make sure you bring a knit hat and light gloves, or pick up a $7 pair of neoprene gloves at Wal-mart when you get here. That way, even if they get wet your hands still stay warm.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,310 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Clothing for June 10 day vacation

Definitely pick up a pair of the neoprene gloves suggested by needinsun. They will be a big plus when fishing since you're hands get wet at times and also protect you from fishing line (in this case wire) cuts. I got a slice in mine, but no cut on my finger.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,587 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Clothing for June 10 day vacation

Just thought I would add that I often get clothing/camping gear at Sierra Trading Post - they do offer some killer deals on their website, though it's always good to compare with other sites like LLBean, REI, etc. :)