We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan itinerary / Alaska cruise 6/08

MN
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan itinerary / Alaska cruise 6/08

Hello everyone,

Our extended family is going on Alaska cruise end of June 08. Grandparents, mine and brother's family with 2 girls, 10 and 14 years old. Money is somewhat tight. Here's my plan:

1. Skagway - staying there for 11 hours.

Rented 2 cars, will drive to Emerald lake. Is it comparable in scenery to taking White Pass train?

2. Juneau - staying for 8 hours - will take MGT bus to Mendenhall glacier.

3. Ketchikan - 6 hours there - Lumberjack show, Totem Pole park, creek street...

I'd love to hear your comments!!!

thank you very much.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,098 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan itinerary / Alaska cruise 6/08

Welcome to TA.

ARe you doing a one way or round trip cruise?

Scenery is similar but different on the train. But if money is tight I would rent the cars and use the money for something else.

There is lots more to do in Juneau than just Mendenhall. I would take the money you saved on the White Pass train and go whale watching. How many of you are there total? They will drop you off or pick you up at Mendenhall. If you are not hiking at Mendenhall, 1-2 hours is more than enough. If you don't want to do whale watching, perhaps some rent a car through Rent A Wreck and drive out past Auke Bay for great scenery, the stone church and more.

John

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,792 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan itinerary / Alaska cruise 6/08

We rented a car in Juneau, did Mendenhall and drove up toward Auke Bay (end of the road). It was a very beautiful, memorable trip!!! Found a dive at one of the ferry docks for lunch.

Also, managed to hit the hatchery and walk through town.

Wonderful!!!

Renting a car will mean you can see a heck of a lot more in the time you are there.

Have fun!

Beth

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan itinerary / Alaska cruise 6/08

I agree with John regarding Skagway and Juneau. And I can't go along with the Lumberjack show - if you had younger children along, I'd feel differently but you can see that so many other places including TV. (We actually saw it for free at the AK state fair in Palmer)

MN
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan itinerary / Alaska cruise 6/08

Guys, thanks a lot!

Our cruise is roundtrip from Seattle.

When in Ketchikan, what else to do (not $$$$)

If we go whale watching in Juneau, is there any specific company you recommend? not sure we gonna do it...

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan itinerary / Alaska cruise 6/08

grannysmith1-

You'll hear lots of specific recommendations for Harv & Marv's and Orca Enterprises for whale watching. I would also recommend Alaskan Marine Adventures, but that's my company, so please don't take that recommendation without a HUGE grain of salt! ;-)

Take a look at the "Inside Pages" for Juneau... right here at Trip Advisor. I think I managed to list just about every company that's whale watching in Juneau, along with several tips about how to choose from the crowd. The tour that I enjoy the most might not work for your group at all... or vice versa...

Happy Alaska Travels!

-Case

6. Re: Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan itinerary / Alaska cruise 6/08

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 06:31