We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bugs in September?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Bugs in September?

We will be visiting Glacier Bay, Kodiak Island, Katmai National Park, Anchorage and Fairbanks during September can anyone advise us on whether there are lots of bugs still from early September?

Also, what is the weather like? Can it be very cold at this time of year? When I say very cold, I mean, hat, scarf, gloves and several layers of clothing kind of cold... average recorded temperatures don't always take into account how cold it can feel with a cold wind!

Thank you

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,299 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bugs in September?

I am not sure about the southeast, but our area (Denali/Fairbanks) is usually pretty done with bugs by August and so by September, you won't have to worry about bugs at all . . . September in Denali can be freezing with some snow showers - Fairbanks area is warmer but you could expect frost/freezing temps, so layering is the best way to go regardless of where you travel in Alaska. :)

Kodiak Island...
Level Contributor
643 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bugs in September?

The bugs are pretty finished up in September in Kodiak too. That's not to say you won't find any, but not nearly as bad as June.

I have to second Coalminer's recommendation to pack layers. September is often warm in Kodiak, but if it gets rainy you will want a hat and gloves - especially if you plan to do any hiking. I would think you'd be safe with your basic layer of t-shirt and jeans or slacks and then top it with a long-sleeved fleece shirt, fleece pants, and a good set of rain gear that's not too heavy - just something to keep the wet off. A light pair of gloves should be good enough unless you are planning to fish out on the ocean. A knit stocking cap is good enough for your head.

Alaska is just too darn predictable and you can bet if you pack for cold it will be warm and vice versa. Best to be prepared.

But you should only need one set of your 2nd and 3rd layers - which lightens your load.

Kodiak Island...
Level Contributor
643 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Bugs in September?

That was supposed to be too darn "UN-predictable"!

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bugs in September?

We were there until 9/3 last year, and never saw a bug! We also didn't need "too many" layers during that time, but as the AK experts have said, you'll be better off taking them!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bugs in September?

Thank you for the information.

We usually pack clothing that can be layered, my concern was that my thin gloves (winters in the UK are very mild) and my rain jacket might not be up to the job!

Sounds like they probably will be OK, but I think I will buy some waterproof leggings too. I would rather bring too much stuff with me and then not need it than find the opposite.

Another question about bugs... until last year I had been lucky enough to avoid being bitten by mosquitoes; that was until one evening in Yellowstone NP we stopped to watch a Brown Bear eating a carcass. I had protection on my arms but they were landing on our backs. I didn’t think about it until we got back to the hotel and then found we had bites all over our backs! I didn’t know that mosquitoes could bite through clothing… African ones doubt, so I had wrongly assumed North American mosquitoes were the same.

So my question is do Alaskan bugs bite through clothing too?

Many thanks for your help.

6. Re: Bugs in September?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 14:22