We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any updates on frozen Tek Campground??

northwest Georgia
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Any updates on frozen Tek Campground??

Just curious if any thawing has occurred in the

campground! We are coming in Aug. so I'm sure it

will be thawed by then, but I'm thinking about all

of those campers coming much earlier. I found the

photos of the area fascinating.

Thanks to all the Denali experts and locals!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,520 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any updates on frozen Tek Campground??

Coalminer has written just recently that it has been cold and snowing in Healy so I doubt much has happened in the way of thaw yet. But I am in MN where today it is supposed to get to 65F so I don't have the most up-to-date answer.

John

Anchorage, AK
Level Contributor
184 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any updates on frozen Tek Campground??

You did get a good answer already on this but in addition I can tell you the park road is closed back at Headquarters at MP3 now since the additional snow and ice accumulation. They had been open to Savage River and had been working their way to Toklat even but then the area suffered a series of snow storms over a week period that pretty much left them starting over including thawing all the culverts once more.

Because of the Eielson Visitor Center opening this June they are really concentrating on getting a single road plowed so the contractors can get through to finish their work. That is their main directive right now.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,254 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any updates on frozen Tek Campground??

Well, inspite of snow last week, yesterday was finally a bit warmer, and it's expected to be in the 40-50's, so it might start thawing soon . . . once things heat up, you never know. We are up to 15 hours of daylight - increasing about 6 minutes a day. I just don't think they can predict since it is the first time it has happenened.

As far as the road crew, they are out at Toklat . . . so the road opening continues to progress, but ice is just an entirely different matter. We'll all hope for the best! :)

northwest Georgia
Level Contributor
844 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any updates on frozen Tek Campground??

Thanks for all of your replies! This makes for

most interesting reading for us Georgians! I am

in shorts today....

Coalminer, please keep us informed. We appreciate

all of your information.

5. Re: Any updates on frozen Tek Campground??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 14:23