We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phones in Alaska-consistent service?

Orlando
Level Contributor
51 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Cell phones in Alaska-consistent service?

We are visiting Anchorage, Denali, Kenai Peninsula, Kenai, Seward and Soldotna and then cruising south to Vancouver from Whittier in July. How is the cell phone service in these areas?

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell phones in Alaska-consistent service?

When we were on a cruise, phones worked whenever we were in port, that was about it.

Don't know about the interior.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell phones in Alaska-consistent service?

This recent thread should help you out:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k18018…

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,427 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell phones in Alaska-consistent service?

Really depends on where you travel and which carrier you have. I have T Mobile which worked in Anchorage and the Matsu Valley, but pretty much nowhere else (Seward, Homer, Cordova).

John

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,264 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell phones in Alaska-consistent service?

Even us with Alaskan cell phone service can't get a signal everywhere - there are still several areas where you can't get a signal. Just don't count on having service everywhere. :)

Orlando
Level Contributor
51 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell phones in Alaska-consistent service?

We have AT & T service on a Blackberry phone. Thanks for the info.

Wauconda, Illinois
Level Contributor
47 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cell phones in Alaska-consistent service?

We travelled much the same trip as you are going to this past July. We also had AT&T service. We found within most cities we had reliable service inside city limits, but as soon as you got outside of them, we lost most of our signal. There was also reliable service throughout the Matsu Valley, the Anchorage area, and the Denali entry area.

Boise, Idaho, U.S.A.
Level Contributor
272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cell phones in Alaska-consistent service?

Has anyone done T-mobile experiments in the Fairbanks area? According to their maps there should be roaming connectivity, but T-mobile's maps are not always reliable.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Cell phones in Alaska-consistent service?

No but I do know it is highly a matter of who you go with. I go with ACS and loose connection just a few miles north of town. My friend has some other company and gets signal all the way out 15 mile Chena Hot Springs Road, which is actually a bit over 20 miles from town.

9. Re: Cell phones in Alaska-consistent service?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 14:15