We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When would be the best time to visit Alaska?

jwr
Houston, tx
Level Contributor
362 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
When would be the best time to visit Alaska?

Considering a trip to Alaska for 2009 or 2010. When would be the best time to visit...late May, June, July, August or early September? Would have 2 weeks (fly in to Anchorage) and plan to visit Denali NP, Homer/Seward, Wrangell-St.Elias NP and possibly the arctic circle. Main concern would be for the weather (rainfall/mosquitos/warmer temps/ wildlife viewing)...would like to do some day-hikes. Northern lights would be a big bonus. thanks.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: When would be the best time to visit Alaska?

Hi. Northern Lights won't be even a possibilty until late August, and even then not too likely. It doesn't get dark enough at night before then. Mosquitoes tend to be pretty much gone from Denali by mid-August, and the beautiful colors start at the end of August into Sept. In Denali, the shuttle stops running about the 12th of September (assuming there isn't a major snowfall before then), and a lot of things close down around that time.

My suggestion would be late August and first week or so of September, leaving Denali/Fairbanks until the end for the best chance at the aurora. The last couple of years have been dismal for displays, but the sun is expected to hit its next solar max in 2011. No guarantees on what you'll see, of course.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,369 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When would be the best time to visit Alaska?

My favorite month is June. I love the long days but for you there's no chance of northern lights then. You'll just need to come back during winter. Just think...hiking all day and it not getting dark! Now that's a bonus! ;)

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When would be the best time to visit Alaska?

I recommend mid-June. Longest day of the year is June 21, so anytime around this time of year will give you the most daylight in Alaska. Also, June seems to be better in terms of weather as June is one of the drier months, in comparison to other months in Alaska.

4. Re: When would be the best time to visit Alaska?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 22:16