We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how do discount codes for car rental work ?

london, UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
how do discount codes for car rental work ?

Hi folks,

I live in the UK and have found fatwallet.com recently and I am intrigued by how discount codes work in practice

is it just a case of quoting the code at booking time and hey presto, it's there, or are there some catches ??

I'm particularly thinking of free CWD/LDW or 25% off codes

thanks to US forum members for your help.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,427 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how do discount codes for car rental work ?

Well I see you have many threads on car rentals!

Forget the US discount codes - you want an all-inclusive tourist rate for foreign visitors. If you can't find it directly from the car rental companies, try a travel agent. They have the ability to see all the rental companies' rates at one time in their reservation system.

John

london, UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: how do discount codes for car rental work ?

thanks for your advice

re: "many" - well because I wasn't sure how busy the alaska forum would be I put one additional post in California (larger population). Apologies if this is against forum etiquette

Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
299 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how do discount codes for car rental work ?

For anyone else reading who's curious about using the codes, find a potential code on Fatwallet travel forum, go to that car company's website (not a reseller like Expedia or Travelocity) and there should be fields for entering the code when you do your city and date search.

Also, most know that avoiding pick up/drop off at the airport will save you fees. But I've also found rates to vary among city locations sometimes (San Francisco, for example). So monkey around with their locations to see what the rates are.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,427 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how do discount codes for car rental work ?

>>For anyone else reading who's curious about using the codes, find a potential code on Fatwallet travel forum, go to that car company's website (not a reseller like Expedia or Travelocity) and there should be fields for entering the code when you do your city and date search.

Just be sure you know what the code is for (which organization, discount, etc) and that you qualify. I have been asked more than once for documentation at the rental counter that I qualify for the discount.

John

Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
299 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how do discount codes for car rental work ?

Right, I avoid the AAA or AARP codes because those will typically be asked for when I pick up the car and I'm not a member of either. I stick to the college & universities or professional organizations. Even my credit card company has a Hertz code. But the best scenario is when a rental company is running a discount for the general public. Fatwallets threads are kept pretty up to date, so I normally don't have to look beyond them for a good code.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how do discount codes for car rental work ?

bladerunneruk,

Try www.travelsupermarket.co.uk then go to the individual sites it identifies.

We have used www.simplycarhire.com and www.usrentacar.co.uk both offer good value for airport pick up and all inclusive alamo and dollar rates.

From experience we have found that discount codes for US sites either don't work from the UK or are more expensive than the above sites.

7. Re: how do discount codes for car rental work ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 08:32