We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts on driving from Healy, AK to Anchorage on last day

Level Contributor
126 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Thoughts on driving from Healy, AK to Anchorage on last day

I've been playing with the idea of driving from Healy to Anchorage on our last day in Alaska. We have a 8:50 pm flight out that evening. I was wondering how much time to allow for that drive. We will be driving a rental car. My husband thinks it's a little risky to drive that far on our last day and questions what would happen if we broke down and missed our flight. (That would be bad) I also wonder how exhausting it might be to do the long drive and then fly home to North Carolina.

On the other hand it would give us either more time in Denali or a chance to do a day trip to Fairbanks on our next to last day in Alaska. I think my mother-in-law is going to have a fit if we don't go to Fairbanks. She loved it but for personal reasons.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Shirley

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
115 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thoughts on driving from Healy, AK to Anchorage on last day

Certainly you can do it one day. I'd recommend getting an early start, taking a side trip to Talkeetna for a bite to eat and then going straight through to Anchorage.

north carolina
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Thoughts on driving from Healy, AK to Anchorage on last day

Hello to my fellow n.c friend.When are you and your husband going to Alaska?I will be their in july next year.Have you ever been to Chatham Marketplace in pittsboro?

Level Contributor
126 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thoughts on driving from Healy, AK to Anchorage on last day

Hello Icecreamqueen,

We are leaving June 17 and returning July 2, 09. I will probably just be getting back when you are leaving. Yes I have been to Chatham Market Place. I live near there. Nice place.

Shirley

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,154 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thoughts on driving from Healy, AK to Anchorage on last day

The drive itself is not a bad one. We found it quite easy and relaxing. I think it took us less than 5 hours from Healy to Anchorage. We were in Denali late June of 2008 and tourism was down. We had no traffic and we were lucky to have no construction along the way. We had been warned that RVs and construction can slow you down. I believe I have read that you should give yourself a good 6-7 hours to allow for potential problems on the road. With the Parks highway being one lane in each direction, an accident can tie things up. That said, if you followed the suggestion above and got an early start, I think you would be fine. However, no one on this forum can promise you that you will not have a breakdown or something that could cause an unusual and unforeseen delay. If it were me and I wanted to fly out that night, I would just get a very early start.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,638 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thoughts on driving from Healy, AK to Anchorage on last day

Not at all a problem to drive from Healy to Anchorage in one day. You want to be at the airport by 7pm and figure 6 hours for the drive, though it might be less. So leave late morning.

Not sure though about including Fairbanks - it depends on your schedule, how long you will already be at Denali and what your priorities/objectives are. It is about a 2 hour drive from Denali to Fairbanks so you could take a day trip there.

Personally, I would spend at least one full day on the shuttle bus in Denali before adding Fairbanks to my itinerary. Actually, I would spend 2-3 full days in Denali before Fairbanks but most people spend only one full day at Denali.

John

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thoughts on driving from Healy, AK to Anchorage on last day

I always find it a plus to be tired as I'm headed to Anchorage airport for a red-eye special- then I can curl up & sleep!

Level Contributor
126 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thoughts on driving from Healy, AK to Anchorage on last day

Good point Denalicat. I never thought to look at it that way.

8. Re: Thoughts on driving from Healy, AK to Anchorage on last day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 14:25