We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV Rental Question

Albany
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
RV Rental Question

Hi we are planning a 9-night trip from ANC in early June--

My question is can 6-7 adults + 1 toddler all sleep in one large RV? We are planning to rent a second car but are hoping we can find an RV that will accommodate every one to save on money.

Also--any advice on a 9-night intinerary that includes DNP, Fairbanks, and some good fishing is greatly appreciated!!

Nichole

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: RV Rental Question

Hi Nichole. I don't think RV's accommodate more than 6 adults, but maybe someone else knows for sure.

What are the dates/times of your arrival/departure in Anchorage? Would the fishing be for salmon or halibut, or both? What other activities would you like to do? (hiking, glaciers, bear-viewing, marine wildlife, kayaking, etc.)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RV Rental Question

Check out the web sites for Great Alaska Holidays or ABC; the sites provide floorplans and/or virtual tours for the various RV sizes.

The GAH 32'Slide looks like it would accomodate 6-7 adults; a queen bedroom, double over the cab, bunk beds, a sofa conversion to double. The makeup of the group will determine whcih layout will meet your needs. 3 couples and a kid ? or 6 singles and a kid?

The slides would provide extra room as well during a stop. There won't be any privacy!

I found the web sites to be very helpful but then I went to a local RV dealer and did a walk through.

Albany
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: RV Rental Question

Thanks--I just looked at GAH website and their reservations page says max 6 passengers per RV? Maybe they allow more if reserve the 32'?

Albany
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: RV Rental Question

Also, we have 3 sets of couples so will need 3 beds + 1 more for my sister if she comes and/or our toddler.

Appreciate any advice!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RV Rental Question

the max of 6 refers to the fact that there are only 6 seatbelts, so only 6 can legally travel in the RV.

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RV Rental Question

Our personal RV has 9 seat belts, but I sure wouldn't want to travel in it with more than 2 other people. What RV companies consider a double bed - often only works "double" if they're under 7 years old. I'm not familiar with the beds in GAH's largest RV (I'd recommend calling and talking to them personally about that.) We rented their smallest since there were just two of us. I sure wouldn't have wanted to share the small bathroom in any RV with 6 or 7 other people!

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
9,982 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RV Rental Question

If planning to rent a second car anyway, and 1 large RV won't work, consider making your second car a pickup truck with a camper on the back. One couple and toddler could sleep in that, plus you'd have a second bathroom and refrigerator/kitchen/table. It would cost more than a car but less, I think, than 2 RVs. One company had a "fisherman special" earlier this month. If interested, I'll see if I can locate where I saw it.

Martville, New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: RV Rental Question

Our family has camped for over 40 years and there isn't a motorhome made that will accommodate 6 adults

comfortably. Don't ruin your vacation by trying to pack that many people in 1 motorhome. When will you

be in Alaska? We are from near Syracuse NY and will be there Aug 20 - Sept 12th.

We have been to Alaska 4 times and would suggest visting the Kenai Peninsula rather than Fairbanks. Also,I believe you'll find better fishing on the Kenai. Is there some special reason that you are considering Fairbanks? One thing that you really have to consider is the distance between different areas. Personally, I would suggest at least 2 nights in Denali. Rather than trying to see too much, choose your favorite places and enjoy them.

I hope you have a wonderful trip - Alaska is fabulous!

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: RV Rental Question

Here is a sample itinerary to get you started. Play around with it until you come up with something that everyone in your party is happy with.

Day 1 – arrive Anch, light sightseeing if time, overnight Anch.

Day 2 – get RVs, go through orientation. Pick up supplies, then very scenic drive to Seward (2.5 hrs plus stops, including Potter Marsh, Beluga Pt., Wildlife Conservation Center, Portage Glacier Visitor Center (can also do a 1 hr. easy walk from that parking lot to actually walk on Byron Glacier): http://alaska.org/driving/seward-drive.htm . Overnight Seward.

Day 3 – half day or full day fishing charter for some, Kenai Fjords wildlife tour for others (includes some time at a calving glacier). Also there is an all-day combo fishing/wildlife tour out of Saltwater Lodge. Obviously the toddler can’t go on that, so perhaps his/her folks can fish from shore, walk along the beach, browse the stores, picnic, or even drive to nearby Cooper Landing (1 hr) to walk to Russian River falls (2 hrs) or watch/participate in “combat” fishing on Kenai R. or Russian R. You might also be able to do a 2 hr. wildlife river float, I’m not sure if there is a minimum age for that, you can check if interested. Back near Seward, 6 pm Ididaride dog sled tour and wheeled cart ride for everyone interested.

Day 4 – SeaLife Center. Drive to Wasilla (3.5 hrs) or Talkeetna (4.5 hrs, can do flightseeing from here if desired) to overnight. Along the way, stop to walk to the face of Exit Glacier just outside of Seward, do any stops you missed day 2 (including Girdwood to go up the tram if the weather is clear, for a great view), slight detour to Palmer to see the Musk Ox Farm. Pick up more supplies by Wasilla (not much available near Denali).

Day 5 – drive the rest of the way to Denali (4 hrs from Wasilla). Since a shuttle into the park isn’t appropriate for most toddlers, if everyone wants to go on a shuttle, I suggest you split into 2 groups. Group 1 (which doesn’t want to do hiking) takes the 2 p.m. Eielson shuttle (8 hrs) today, while Group 2 does entrance area activities with toddler in tow (hike an entrance trail, drive the 14 miles into the park that vehicles are allowed and hike from there, visitor center displays & film, Murie Center, free Ranger sled dog demo at 10, 2 or 4, whitewater rafting (obviously not with toddler) or dinner theatre. Overnight in Denali at Riley Creek, or outside the park nearby if you want facilities (make reservations for CG & shuttles as soon as your itinerary is firm).

Day 6 - Group 1 stays with toddler and does entrance area activities, while Group 2 (including those wanting to hike) takes an early morning shuttle to Eielson (maybe 6:30 or 7?), with some/all of them getting off the shuttle to hike for a couple of hours, then catching a later shuttle back to the entrance to meet up with the group. After supper, drive to Fairbanks (2 hrs) to overnight.

Day 7 – 8:45 a.m. to 12:15 pm: Riverboat Discovery. Lunch. Drive out to El Dorado Goldmine for 3 pm tour, stopping along the way 8 miles outside Fairbanks to see the Pipeline & display. Pioneer Park (great for toddler to run around, can have dinner there if you want at Salmon Bake, though that’s expensive). Some of you might want to stay for the 8:15 show at Palace Theatre if you didn’t take in the dinner theatre at Denali). Overnight Fairbanks.

Day 8 – U. of A. Museum or Ice Museum, maybe some would prefer to drive out to Chena Hot Springs for a few hours, or even a flight across the Arctic Circle. Santa Claus House in nearby North Pole for toddler (check on website to see when Santa is there, you can fit this in on day 7 if it makes a difference). Mail postcards from North Pole to be postmarked…well, I bet you can guess! Late afternoon or early evening, drive to either Denali or Talkeetna to overnight. (That's the nice thing about RV's, you can play it by ear on the day).

Day 9 – drive the rest of the way back to Anchorage. Possible activities: Native Heritage Center, hike/bike Tony Knowles Coastal Trail, hike Flattop Mt., Eagle River Nature Center, Zoo, Alaska Wildberry store/park/theatre, watch floatplanes on Lake Hood, fish at Ship Creek, 1 hr. trolley tour of city, etc. Overnight Anchorage

Day 10 - ? You didn’t say when your plane leaves. If time, activities in/near Anchorage. If you have a whole day, you might want to rearrange the IT to include hiking on Matanuska Glacier or a glacier cruise out of Whittier, etc.

If you want more help, let us know more specifically which things you do/don't want to do, and when your plane arrives and departs.

J24
Northern California
Level Contributor
56 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: RV Rental Question

Manitoba Maple, what a great post. Thanks.

I am wrestling with a similar question. Would you:

1) Drop Fairbanks from the itinerary completely and spend more time on the Kenai Peninsula and/or Denali?

2) Drop Denali AND Fairbanks and just spend the whole time lingering through Kenai or do you miss out on too much not going to Denali.

Our priorities (2 adults, 2 kids 9 and 11) are:

-Up close with wildlife

-Up close with sealife (whales, orcas)

-Hiking (moderate)

-Paddling (easy)

-Fishing (low-key, not enthusiasts)

-Climbing / canyoneering (easy stuff)

3) Choose mid-June or early July (bugs, crowds..)

Many Thanks