We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What will we miss if we go in early late May or early June?

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
What will we miss if we go in early late May or early June?

I'm putting together a one way cruise for my extended family out of Vancouver followed by about a week or so on land where we'll visit Fairbanks, Anchorage, Denali and Kenai area.

The late May and early June cruises are much less costly and we're leaning on going then. My question is what activities, sites or experiences will we be unable to enjoy by going so early vs say July or August when prices are much higher?

thanks,

Chris

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,924 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What will we miss if we go in early late May or early June?

Well, for my area you will still see basic winter weather - lots of sunshine, but it will not be green. The buses also do not go all the way out into the park then either. Other than that, you will be able to see and do just about everything else. :)

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,756 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What will we miss if we go in early late May or early June?

Any time of year, but especially that time of year, be sure to have plenty of layers for clothing. You may encounter some snow. It will be cold.

Except for the cruise itself, prices for most tours are about the same throughout the entire tourist season. The car rental prices can fluctuate but even in the tourist season I get great car rental rates by booking 11 months in advance. At this point for the summer, you will have to figure close to $75/day for a car rental if returned to the same location or quite a bit more if a one-way car rental.

John

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,118 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What will we miss if we go in early late May or early June?

Chris

On the cruise part of your trip, the weather will be less rainy in late May early June, temperatures will be just a few degrees colder than later in the summer.....wild flowers will be abundant.....salmon will not be running yet so you may not see bears, keep that in mind when considering "wild life" type excursions.....there WILL be whales to watch.....

water in the river will start to rise as the snow in the upper areas melts, so rafting will be fun.....helicopter and float plane excursions will be flying.....the White Pass RR in Skagway will be operating and the White Pass will really be white that early in the season....most of tourist activities will be open and running.....

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,924 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What will we miss if we go in early late May or early June?

Oh, mombear - must be so nice to live in the banana belt of Alaska! -25 here today, and expected to get colder as the week goes along . . . :)

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,794 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What will we miss if we go in early late May or early June?

We were in Denali May 31 and saw a mama grizzly and 2 new cubs plus lots of other wildlife, including a wolf! Luck was with us that day.

We also took a bus trip into the Yukon territory from Skagway and saw three black bears along the road.

We were able to do pretty much everything we wanted to do. Was a bit chilly at times so be sure to bring layers!

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What will we miss if we go in early late May or early June?

The best wildlife viewing I have ever seen in Denali, & I've gone a lot, was right after the buses started running the later part of May. Since there was snow above & no buses to scare them there was tons of animals around. Lots of bears, lynx, caribou, wolves. Plus not a lot of tourists yet.

7. Re: What will we miss if we go in early late May or early June?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 05:25