We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Alaska?

Israel
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving in Alaska?

Hi,

we will be in alaska next june. we planned to drive from s.dakota in to alaska.

Is it possible?

Is it safe? what a bout Hotels/Motels?

Thank You @ Have a Good week, Israeli.

Carcross, Yukon
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Alaska?

I'm not sure what exactly you mean, but yes there are roads so it can be done. Figure on 5-7 days each way plus whatever time you want to spend in Alaska - it's about 3,100 miles to Anchorage. It's perfectly safe if you drive for the road and weather conditions, and there are lots of motels, hotels and lodges along the way. Have a look at Mapquest.com for routing.

Murray

ExploreNorth.com

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Alaska?

Driving up here in June is fine. You might want to get a copy of The Milepost to see what's along the way. Make sure to stop in BC at Liard River Hot Springs.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,536 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Alaska?

Hello Israeli! You didn't mention how long you have for your trip - it will be a lot of driving, but it will be a beautiful trip. It's also very safe, other than being distant from things - not a problem, if you are well prepared. As mentioned, do get the Milepost, as that will be a huge help to you as you plan and drive - it will give you lots of information that you need. Will you also be returning to S. Dakota? If that is the case, I would recommend taking the Alcan on the way up, and take the Cassiar on the way back home. Also, make sure you have your passports up to date for going thru Canada and back into the US. Things do get pretty rustic the further north you go . . . but there are plenty of accommodations. You just have to be well prepared and expect that. As you need more details, just post your questions, as people are very helpful on this site. Good luck - we'll see you next summer! :)

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Alaska?

Wow coalminer, I hope Israeli has at least a month to enjoy the scenery. That is a long drive. The poster asked about hotels so I guess it is by car and not motorhome.

Actually, Israeli, it was not that busy in early June. Do you think you might consider a motorhome? Lots of people travel that way. It is very safe.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,536 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in Alaska?

Hello again - had another thought. If you haven't seen Glacier Nat'l Park/Waterton (Montana), Banff & Jasper National Parks in Canada, you may want to begin your drive heading up that way - it's gorgeous! :) You can link up w/the Alcan after those places.

Israel
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in Alaska?

Shalom,

Thank you all for the great answers, I guess I have a lots of planning to do?

We will be in the us all summer long.

Thank you All again for the helpful answers.

All The Best, Israeli.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
610 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving in Alaska?

I flew to San Francisco in the begining of June, rented a car and drove all the way to Alaska and back in 6 weeks, spending approx. 2 weeks in Alaska. The journey is far less complicated than I expected. The road (Alaska Highway) is mostly in good condition, wide and with rare steep sections. Though you have to take into consideration that summer means construction on the Alcan, so you might encounter sections that are being reconstructed. The last part of the highway (heading North from Whitehorse) is also in a worse condition with many potholes (lots of them unmarked) so you have to be a bit more careful when driving. The journey is completely safe, the only thing I got scared about were the bears which I met during stops or walks into the woods.

As the previous replies already mention the settlements are few and far apart, so services are limited. My advise is to stock up in larger towns (Dawson Creek, Ft. Nelson, Whitehorse) with water and other things you might want to carry with you. Gas is not such a problem as gas stations are 50-70 miles apart at most, however gas is usually cheaper in towns mentioned so you might want to leave with your gas tank full every morning.

Regarding accomodation there are decent hotels/motels in the larger towns mentioned, the only problem is the Ft. Nelson - Whitehorse stretch, where there is no hotel that would suite my taste. On the way to Alaska I spent one night in Watson Lake but found the accommodation rather unacceptable, so on my way back I preffered driving Whitehorse - Ft. Nelson in one day and staying at the very nice Super 8 in Ft. Nelson.

Driving one way through Canadian Rockies and the national parks of Banff, Jasper, Yoho and Kootenay is very exciting and literally on your way. If you haven't done that before. Have a great trip!

Carcross, Yukon
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving in Alaska?

>>...gas is usually cheaper in towns mentioned...<<

It's not, actually - many of the smaller lodges such as Contact Creek, Iron Creek and Johnson's Crossing are much cheaper than the communities.

>>...the only problem is the Ft. Nelson - Whitehorse stretch, where there is no hotel that would suite my taste.<<

I can't imagine what your tastes must be to not like the Liard Hot Springs Lodge or the Rocky Mountain Lodge at Muncho Lake.

Murray

ExploreNorth.com

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
610 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving in Alaska?

Regarding gas - I partially agree. But in order to find such places with good prices you have to know them and their location in advance. Otherwise you might end up in need of gas and paying exorbitant prices at some remote locations as it happened to me.

Regarding accommodation - you probably know the saying "100 people, 200 tastes" :).