We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

camping-reservations or not?

Easton, Maryland
Level Contributor
133 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
camping-reservations or not?

I've read many posting relating to camping and see that some are making reservations and some are just "winging it". I like the idea of just stopping whenever/whereever we want, but being such a planner, I'm having trouble trusting that this will work. We are renting an RV. Is finding a spot to just pull off and spend the night really that easy?

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: camping-reservations or not?

For the most part yes, that easy.

Get a copy of the Milepost Book and that will help alot with knowing what's up ahead. $18 Anc Walmart, maybe $20 on Amazon, $28 retail. You don't need a current year if you find a cheaper used book as mostly just advertising changes.

Alaska
Level Contributor
158 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: camping-reservations or not?

Finding a spot in an rv park or camping area is only hard when it is very popular spot near some major attraction, such as the Russian River when the salmon are running. Even around Denali (outside the park) there will be spots available most of the time. You can also stop for the night at a highway turnout, some of the turnouts will get you a little further away from the highway than others. If you are someone that has to be at the airport three hours early or can't sleep unless every day of the trip planned then you should make reservations for peace of mind. Many of the tourist companies are saying that pre-bookings are down this year. If it were me I wouldn't worry about it.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,507 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: camping-reservations or not?

Also depends on holidays and weekends . . . last summer we tried to find a spot at Byers lake on a Saturday night and there wasn't a spot to be found . . . so make sure in popular areas you are parked by Friday early afternoon for the weekend. :)

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: camping-reservations or not?

I would suggest that you make a reservation at any place that is REALLY important to you,then wing it the rest of the time. I have a reservation at Denali because the last time I was there, we were turned away and ended up in Healy. I also have a reservation in Seward because it will be our first nite in an RV and also because we have an 8am Kenai cruise the next morning. (Don't want to be driving 50 miles to get there by 7:30am). Other than that we're winging it. I've got a Milepost to show me where camp options are, wherever and whenever we decide to pull over. Plus I've spent a few hours at Barnes and Noble looking thru the Alaska cammpground book by Mike (?) Church.

You didn't indicate the time of your trip but you would also want to take into consideration any festivals or events that are happening during that time period.

carol

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: camping-reservations or not?

We RV'd for 2 weeks in AK. REALLY wanted to stay at TEK in Denali, so made reservations there for the start of our trip, and then winged it for the rest of the time - and NEVER had a problem. This was the last 2 weeks of August, and only place REALLY busy was Valdez with locals filling the campgrounds for salmon fishing.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: camping-reservations or not?

Can you really get the MILEPOST at Anchorage Walmart for $18? I will be in town June10 and want to get one, better there than pay for shipping from Amazon. Which Walmart in Anchorage, and where in the store? Is it a SuperCenter Walmart? Need to get supplies anyway! Thanks

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: camping-reservations or not?

Walmart SuperCenter Store

3101 A Street

and

8900 Old Seward Highway

Oops sorry I called and they've gone up to 19.96 :)

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: camping-reservations or not?

I wouldn't wait until you get to Alaska to get the Milepost. It's the size of a city telephone book, and will take some time for you to read through.

Have you checked with your local WalMart to see if they will order one in for you?

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: camping-reservations or not?

You can find them in the souvenir section, in which AK stores have the best selection of gifts of any Walmarts anywhere else.

I tried having Walmart in Mn get me one last year and it was a no...as it's regional item. Never hurts to try though.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,250 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: camping-reservations or not?

See if your local library has one to borrow. Dont't bring that one up though. I have heard of people losing library books on vacation.