We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to travel still with H1N1 & Earthquakes?

Level Contributor
250 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Safe to travel still with H1N1 & Earthquakes?

We heard the news of crew members of a cruiseline down with H1N1 and volcano eruptions and earthquakes at Anchorage etc... can someone please tell me if it still safe to take a holiday at Alaska in a few weeks time? Any news update or expert predictions/opinions? We are contemplating if we should cancel our trip there.....sigh.

Level Contributor
131 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to travel still with H1N1 & Earthquakes?

Go on your trip, you will be fine. People travel to beautiful Alaska everyday, how often do you hear inthe news of anything bad going on in regards tot he H1N1 or natural disasters. Go and have a great time and dont let it spoil your trip.

Just make sure never leave home without travel insurance.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to travel still with H1N1 & Earthquakes?

Well, I'm sure not cancelling my upcoming trip.

Last I heard, there were 75 deaths worldwide from H1N1, 68 of them in Mexico. Many thousands more people have contracted that flu, almost all with only minor symptoms. I also read in one article that in the US, 100,000 people are believed to have gotten H1N1, with 5 deaths so far. Annual deaths in the US from "regular" flu is somewhere between 20,000 and 36,000 (pneumonia deaths are also included in those amounts). So thus far, H1N1 hasn't been anywhere near as serious as first feared.

Are you likely to get some kind of virus on a cruise? It's actually not uncommon. Norwalk virus has been around for years. I got it years ago and it knocked me flat the last day of my cruise. Hundreds of that ship's passengers came down with it. Anywhere you have many people in close quarters, it's easy to transmit a virus. Elevator buttons, handrails, doorknobs, etc. are things that everyone touches.

So wash your hands often in soapy water, and get yourself a tube of hand sanitizer for use in between!

And if you're going to time your visit so that you have no possibility of volcanic eruption or earthquake, you'll never get to Alaska. For the past 40 years, Alaska averaged 2 eruptions a year, though most don't affect the populated areas. http://www.avo.alaska.edu/volcanoes/about.php As for earthquakes, Alaska has 57% of those that occur in the USA. In a 26-year period (as of data 2003), there were 12,000 earthquakes in that state of 3.5 or greater magnitude. …usgs.gov/regional/states/top_states.php Of course, most of the time nobody feels a thing. View current quakes here: www.aeic.alaska.edu/recent/sub/index.html

However, during my trips to Alaska, I have yet to feel ANYTHING. Same thing with my trips to California, which is #2 in earthquakes. If my trip to Alaska this year gets disrupted by flu or volcano or earthquake, well...stuff happens. I'll take reasonable precautions (I'm packing a couple of face masks in the event of volcanic ash), but I'm not going to live my life in fear of what MIGHT happen.

I'm going to have a great time during my trip, and you will too! :-)

Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,172 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe to travel still with H1N1 & Earthquakes?

Well said MM!!

Level Contributor
250 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe to travel still with H1N1 & Earthquakes?

Thanks for the detail information. Well, I supposed the confined space in the aircraft is worse ....just need some reassurance and courage to proceed as we are bringing our children to see the iceberg....

5. Re: Safe to travel still with H1N1 & Earthquakes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2009, 05:36
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now