We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Lights?

Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Northern Lights?

Thanks everyone. I have taken a lot of tips and had started researching.

My husband had hoped to see the "Northern Lights"

but we know nothing about the season when that is possible. Or where we need to go if it was possible.

To repeat we know nothing about them, so any info anyone had on them would be appreciated.

Thanks for you help....again!

GoJustin

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern Lights?

Hi. The best time to see the Northern Lights is in March, in Fairbanks. Are you looking at a winter vacation in Alaska?

At this time of year, it never really gets dark, so you have no chance of seeing them. About the end of August it gets dark enough again. However, the aurora is still at a low cycle, so not many good displays expected for another year or two. But you never know your luck.

More info here: http://www.gedds.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern Lights?

GoJustin, as people like to say, we are in a trough right now but 2011-13 are looking up for aurora activity. There are lots of good websites. Here is one:

www.salatshots.com/aurora-prediction.php

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,139 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern Lights?

I have been fortunate to be able to vacation to Fairbanks in March (07 and 08) to see (and photograph) the aurora. I did a lot of reading and studying before hand and the two sites referenced are good starters.

Here is a link to my travel report written for IgoUgo, which has some additional personal information regarding the aurora: igougo.com/…1332102 .

Feel free to write me off-list with any questions you may have.

Von

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northern Lights?

Wow Von!

You are an authentic aurora chaser! What amazing aurora borealis photography! Good job & thanks for sharing them. There are some great links on your site.

5. Re: Northern Lights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2009, 08:18