We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Totally LOVED Alaska; but where to next in '10?

new england
Level Contributor
411 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Totally LOVED Alaska; but where to next in '10?

Our trip to Alaska in summer '08 bewitched our souls. Am now trying to zero in on another destination -- not Alaska, alas -- for summer '10 that might at least come close to interesting both parents and teens. Would love to hear what experienced family travelers on this forum might suggest.

Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
101 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Totally LOVED Alaska; but where to next in '10?

We did Southern California a few years ago.

San Diego, Disneyland, Hollywood, beaches, mid-70's in the summer..ahhh. Did the Warner Bros lot when Gilmore Girls was still on..daughter loved it, and all of Hollywood really. San Diego Zoo is amazing, and of course there's Sea World. A drive up the Pacific Coast Highway. We took a side trip to Joshua Tree and Desert Hot Springs. It was a great trip.

Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
101 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Totally LOVED Alaska; but where to next in '10?

We did Southern California a few years ago.

San Diego, Disneyland, Hollywood, beaches, mid-70's in the summer..ahhh. Did the Warner Bros lot when Gilmore Girls was still on..daughter loved it, and all of Hollywood really. San Diego Zoo is amazing, and of course there's Sea World. A drive up the Pacific Coast Highway. We took a side trip to Joshua Tree and Desert Hot Springs. It was a great trip.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Totally LOVED Alaska; but where to next in '10?

Well I have to agree, Maybe 4 days in the Disneyland area, Just did two days there nice family cheap hotel. then down to San Diego maybe rent a condo in Mission Bay 20 miles of pristine beaches for a week. there also several cruises to mexico out of San Diego. We have taken both carnival cruises 8 day and 4 day, very fun although we don't have children they are pampered. If you go to the forum and someone suggests the Del Coronado Hotel, Talk to me!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,839 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Totally LOVED Alaska; but where to next in '10?

Personally, I would not head to Southern CA during the summer time . . . unless you like waiting in lines during the hot summer time. Disneyland is a ZOO then! Some favorite rides will have a time wait of 2 -3 hours! If you want to do the Southern CA things, do that in the Fall - that is a relatively slow time (up until Christmas) and you would be able to see much more without the crowds. Okay - have you figured out that Alaskans don't like crowds?? :) If I were to do S. CA, I would make sure you take time to spread out a bit - drive up the coast, go out into the desert and all that.

Let's see - if you loved Alaska, you must love scenery. Do you want another woods experience or something tropical?? One of my favorite places to travel to is Hawaii - and there is nothing more beautiful than the northshore of Kauai during the summer time. You can hike, kayak, swim, snorkel in some of the most spectacular scenery I have encountered, and probably for less than you spent in Alaska, I kid you not.

Have you been to Colorado?? That is a great place to explore in the summer time - as well I love the National parks - you could do a whole tour thru the Rockies - Rocky Mtn National Park, Yellowstone, Tetons, Glacier and then into Canada if you have your passports.

Does any of this sound good?? If not, give us some other ideas of what you like to do. If you can't tell, I love to research travel as well as travel. :)

Anchorage, AK
Level Contributor
184 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Totally LOVED Alaska; but where to next in '10?

My favorite is always Northern Arizona and Southern Utah and seeing the canyons. Sedona, Grand Canyon, Slot Canyons, Canyon de Chelly, Bryce, etc. Very different from Alaska but still very very beautiful.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,839 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Totally LOVED Alaska; but where to next in '10?

Yes - I agree, the American SW is amazing . . . but it can get so hot in the summer . . . that is why I didn't mention it. :)

Palm Coast, Florida
Level Contributor
101 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Totally LOVED Alaska; but where to next in '10?

And, depending on the teens, might not be exciting enough.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,094 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Totally LOVED Alaska; but where to next in '10?

How about Glacier National Park, Montana ?.....If you enjoy hiking and wildlife viewing with fantastic old hotels (or remote Forest Service Cabins), your tribe should enjoy this place.....

Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Totally LOVED Alaska; but where to next in '10?

I might as well add British Columbia & Banf & Jasper Provincial parks if you still wish the best of nature. Of course the other suggestions are also great!

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Totally LOVED Alaska; but where to next in '10?

I second the Napali coast of Kauai with a hike or boat trip to the Kalalau Valley. Kauai is so beautiful that when I was younger it bewitched my soul so much I had to move there! Who wouldn't love those beaches and trails.