We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaskan cruise trip report

California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,500 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Alaskan cruise trip report

Went on Carnival Spirit and did the inland passage northbound.

Flew into Vancouver with no problems. Got a taxi right outside($35.) to take us to the port. Through Carnival it would have been $16.pp and you would have to wait for a bus to fill up. Taxi was much quicker.

We have cruised with Carnival 11 times so we were able to bypass a very large line to get on the ship after the imigration line. I don't think it is usually backed up that bad but Carnival was having computer problems. Bags were at our room within a few hours.

Carvival Pros--

Love the layout of the ship/easy to get around.

Loved the beds and linens/very comfy!

Had great staff for the most part

Water pressure in the shower is great and lots of hot water

Good amount of storage in rooms

24 hour pizza/good salad bar

Carnival Cons--

Food-- we are happy enough with Carnivals food. We are not super picky BUT at dinner time I ordered steak(which I love) and two times I could not even eat it. I thought I better change to fish. How could you go wrong with Salmon in Alaska....well, the Salmon must have been from somewhere far, far away because it was dry as bone and really bad also!

Otherwise, I was happy with most everything else...Oh wait, the deli bar, which I usually love, was not near as good as in the past. Not sure what is going on but hope next cruise is better.

Shows--The comedian was a complete downer. Not just, not funny, but you almost felt sorry for him. Down on himself and down on pretty much everything about life. The variety shows were fine. Pretty typical.

Carnival, on the whole, has been a good cruiseline for us. We started cruising with them in the early 90s. They were the least expensive and met our needs. We will probably keep using them or their sister lines.

Tips--

If financially able get a balcony room(especially for Alaska)!

Bring extra wire hangers

Bring a 3 plug adaptor for curling irons or chargers/camera stuff.

Bring lightweight layers of clothing. We were in shorts 90% of the time. For us it was not cold most of the trip.

Small backpack to take off the ship during the day.

Lightweight rain gear or umbrella.

Bring a few snacks(I know, how can you be hungry) from either off the ship in your backpack for day trips. We brought nuts and M&Ms from home to always have on hand.

Relax and go with the flow...no stressing! :-)

Ketchikan--

We had no plans here so we just walked a mile or so to Rainbow Trail. What a pretty hike. It was raining but we were still in shorts. Not cold at all. There is a much longer hike(I think it was Deer Mountain)that we should have taken, but we were fine with our little hike. There is a visitors center right outside once you get off the ship. They are very helpful. Friends did the canopy tour(from off the ship) and had fun but said it was a little expensive.

Juneau--

Can't say enough about Rent A Wreck. They were great. We opted to leave the car in a parking garage by 7:15 that evening so we could have it longer. They come pick it up and it was just so easy. It was $51. if we kept it until 5 but we paid $15. more to keep it longer.

Went to Mendenhall Glacier(twice). Did a wonderful hike there. Later in the afternoon went back and took a path to get real close to the waterfall and glacier. It was pure joy!! Friends did the helicopter/glacier tour in the AM and loved it. We had a beautiful, clear day so we were very lucky. The heli had not gone out all week because of bad weather. Drove all around to points of interest.

Skagway--

Met up with DyeaDave and his buddie. We were going to take the van up towards the Yukon and then catch the train back BUT the other families in our van were going all the way to Carcross my husband said lets do that. So we had a great time. Saw only one bear but it was nice to be able to stop wherever along the route and take pictures and get out and see the beauty. We were able to see the train and take photos of it as it followed about the same path as we did. All went well and it was a great day. $60.pp.r/t + tip with DyeaDave. Friends did an extensive hike with guide up to a glacier. They said it was wonderful and well worth the $$.

Sitka--

Tendered in here but worth going to. We loved the little town and walked all over the place. Went to the Totem Pole gardens. Went to the small fish hatchery, went to the Eagle wildlife preserve but didn't go in. Just a neat place. Mostly shopped there.

As you can see we had decided to not spend alot on excusions. You can spend alot(as our friends did) or a little in Alaska and still have an amazing time.

Ship day/ PW Sound and College Fjord--

The glacier was amazing and we were able to get very close because the icebergs were mostly melted around the glacier. What a beautiful sight!

Would we go back to Alaska either on a cruise or just fly there??

In a heartbeat!!!!!

Lyndi :-)

Sorry this was so long..

Upper Black Eddy...
Level Contributor
26 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaskan cruise trip report

Thank you for the great trip report! Nice to know that you guys had such warm weather.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaskan cruise trip report

Hi Lyndi,

Thanks for the great info. I've just booked our first cruise to Alaska next June and will be spending a lot of time planning. Your info helps.

What's up with the 3 prong plug? My chargers and such had the two prong flat USA 110 volt style as plug and if the plug I'm plugging into has three holes (the third is a ground) it still plugs into the upper two without a problem? Are you refferring to a larger 220 volt plug?

thanks,

Chris

California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,500 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alaskan cruise trip report

Chris,

What I meant :-) was a three in one plug(not sure what they are called). In the cruiseship rooms there are very few plugs. There was one in the bathroom but it was supposed to be for razors only and I only found one in the main area. When you want to plug in a blow dryer, camera charger and curling iron all at once, it came in handy.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,893 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alaskan cruise trip report

Hi Lyndi,

sounds like you had a great time, except for the food part.

do you have pictures?

Adios, Lynn

California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
9,500 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alaskan cruise trip report

Hi Lynn,

We did have a great time and will do this cruise again!

We have pictures BUT hubby is working on making a video slide show and so it takes lots of time. Can't rush his creativity. Will post it when done.

Lyndi :-)

6. Re: Alaskan cruise trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2010, 07:16